1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Gh3 and a nikon SB 600 flash

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by cpepdan, Nov 23, 2013.

1. cpepdan

cpepdan Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 1, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Dan Nicholson
    I have a GH3 and SB 600 flash and for giggles I put them together. Not expecting them to work but it fired. Should be fine to use together? Any concerns or tips or should it just be used as if with my Nikon?

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

2. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    I use an SB800 on my E-M5. It'll trigger and I think the SB600 will trigger for you as well.

3. kittymama3

kittymama3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2014
    I have an sb600 and would like to use it with my gx7. The voltage must be compatible if it didn't fry the camera

4. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    From my experience all or most modern flashes are "digital compatible". Meaning most operate at the lower voltages that digital cameras now use. I have the SD600 that I bought with my D80 and I use it off camera with flash triggers on my E P5. BTW the external flash sync with this setup seems to be 1/320s which is higher than the camera is rated for. Kind of odd but I'm not complaining. I have tried it once on top of the E P5 and it did work but it was way too silly to ever use like that. I prefer off camera flash anyhow.

But I imagine it will work fine on the GH3, I use mine in manual mode so I'm not sure about auto functionality.

5. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    The old Nikon flashes allow you to set the ISO and f-stop on the flash. If the newer nikons do this then it is like an auto mode as the flash decides from the bounced back light that the amount of light has been reached for that exposure and then shuts off. If working with lots of black and white just adjust either the iso or the f-stop up or down in 1/3 spots and this is like exposure compensation.

6. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    SB-600/700 doesn't have the Auto (thyristor) mode. I think the SB-800/900 do.

It's safe. The current Nikon digital-capable SB speedlights all measure around 4V or so for syncing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay