1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GH3 6400 ISO ooc jpg

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Kiwi Paul, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    If anyone doubts the ability of u4/3 to produce detailed noise free high ISO shots, here's an example of just how good our system is, this was taken hand held with GH3, 100-300 at 300mm, 1/800, f8, 6400 iso, this is a jpg straight out of the camera.
    Not the most exciting shot I know, but demonstrates the ability of our system to produce noise free, detailed images at fairly high iso.

Paul

P1020883.

2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
  3. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Even the EPL3 did great high ISO shots but I'm still surprised at how many folk still shy away from anything over about iso 1600..... if that.

Paul

4. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    A high ISO shot in good light is not the same as a high ISO shot in low light. You have any night shots at ISO 6400?

5. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    I have more confidence in shooting high ISO with the GH3.

Here's a shot, not jpeg but raw, no noise reduction in PP, added standard sharpening, at ISO 6400. The noise grain is evident, but what I'm amazed of is the ability of the GH3 to keep the colors and DR at this ISO. My recollection if it serves me right, the G3 and GX1 would have struggled in this type of shot.

[​IMG]

6. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Yeah that looks like crap. Does the camera do noise reduction for jpegs? It must.

7. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    This is something people seem to often forget. There have been times I've gotten away with accidentally doing shoots in daylight at ISO 1600 or 3200 because I forgot to look at my ISO. High ISO in daylight just looks like pretty film grain.

This is ISO 1600 on the E-M5, pulled up about another 0.5-1 stops in LR:
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/37605747@N07/9582021442/" title="VandD (28) by napilopez, on Flickr"> 9582021442_aba56471fc_c. "600" height="800" alt="VandD (28)"></a>

Grainy, but by no means bad. Skin tones are even maintained nicely (on my screen at least).

To be fair, the person you're quoting said the noise is obvious but color and dynamic range are retainex VS previous cameras, which has been precisely my experience with the similar-sensored E-M5.

Also, you totally just Necro'd this thread.

This is not to say this sensor doesn't produce good results at high ISO, but noise in low light is very different from noise in daylight.

8. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    I'd rather bring back a thread then start a new one. Much easier to search that way. Also this thread isn't that old, only July 31st. Still sort of relevant.

Also in reference to that pic, the baby looks fine, as does most everything else, but her face is awful and it seems to have a slight green tinge to it.

Although these cameras have definitely come a long way. I remember not being able to shoot on my GF1 at anything higher than 200ISO because the noise was too much. Then again I only shot raw and didn't do any noise reduction in post because I didn't know how.

9. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    The slight green tinge is because of the mixed lightings brought by the ambience in the carnival.

10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    EVERY digital camera does NR for high ISO jpegs by default. Even vaunted FF cameras from Nikon and Canon apply NR by default.

11. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Heck, Fuji's X-Trans sensor applies serious NR to the RAW files. Not that it isn't still the best performing APS-C sensor out there in low light; it's incredible, and at least on part with the 5DMKII and MKIII. But a quick look at the RAW output shows smudging of details and hardly any chroma noise whatsoever at its maximum of ISO 6400. Some have suggested noise reduction is part of the very demosaicing algorirthm.

12. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Detroit
    Bravin Neff
    Agreed. And not only that, a shot in daylight has the advantage of its red and blue channels mostly being equal in saturation (i.e., ~5000K to 6000K), so the final result doesn't require any of the color channels to strain related to the others.

At night, or indoors, or at a concert, etc., this is almost never true. The red or blue channel is almost always way higher or lower in saturation than the other, and this is when "high ISO" really shows its stuff.

Or its weakness.

13. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    This shot is with the E-PL2 at 1600. Lots of noise. I won't go past ISO 1600 unless I have good light.

P7272821s.JPG

14. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

And sharpening, too! Demosaic is way more than just vanilla de-Bayer masking. Pretty much why all the raw converters delivery different results.

15. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    I just received a GH-3 and an OM-D in the mail today.:cloud-9-039: Pics to come comparing ISO25600 or whatever it is.:horse:

16. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    It doesn't look like crap to me, but I was raised on very grainy Tri-X film, so the fast ASA/ISO we often use these days is still impressive. Plus, I don't might the look of grain/noise depending on the 'signature'.

17. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    I like a lot of noise/grain on grungy black and white. And film grain is a different animal than sensor noise. I'm shooting some 3200 right now, we can see how that develops as well.

18. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Agreed, different yet similar, depending on the character of the noise. But noise is what we have unless we shoot film.

That will be interesting.