GH3 + 12-35mm vs E-M1 + 12-40mm

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by ntblowz, Aug 25, 2013.

1. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I am seriously thinking of dumping the GH3+ 12-35mm for the E-M1 + 12-40mm, what holding me back is the video feature/quality of E-M1, if it is a good as NEX/Lumix (dont mind if video is slightly worse than GH3/G6) I would completely dumping the Panasonic and going for all Olympus this year.

Am I thinking way ahead of myself or what? :tongue:
  2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Any ideas what the EM1 + 12-40 will cost ? ...$2500 perhaps ?
  3. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

The GH3 will probably have better video than the EM1. Panasonic always seem to be a few steps ahead of Olympus in the video game, so if video is important then it might not be advisable to switch.
    As a stills camera the EM 1 should be a delight, but until they are released and in the hands of some respected testers then we are only guessing.
    I don't think I will swap my 12-35mm for the 12-40, the lack of OIS will count against it even if the image quality is a little bit better in the 12-40mm.
  4. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    What do you expect to gain by changing? The 2 systems would be very similar as far as I can tell, and the Panasonic will most likely have better video capabilities.
  5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

A bird in hand is better than two in the bush:wink::wink:
  6. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I think your pictures will look exactly the same.
  7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think photographer will be also the same:biggrin::biggrin::2thumbs::2thumbs:
  8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Yes, you're way ahead of yourself. Virtually nothing is really known about either of the new Oly products. Why would you make a decision in an information vacuum?

Why are you dissatisfied with the Panasonic pair? Do you think the Olympus pair will solve that? Do you really think the Oly gear will make you a better photographer, which is, presumably, the point of owning the gear in the first place? The improved performance of the Oly lens, if reals, is probably something you'd only notice shooting test charts and pixel peeping, and not on real-world photos.

Throwing money at hardware rarely results in better photographs, in my experience, unless the new hardware resolves a real limitation that was holding you back before..
  9. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Like others have said why????
    The GH3 12-35 combo is awesome, even if the new Oly pair are technically better I doubt the difference's justify selling up and starting over.

Sent from my ME301T using Mu-43 mobile app
  10. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    You are suffering from GAS
  11. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    At the time when this lens was still only rumor I believe it was also rumoured to be partnered by a 40-150/ THAT would be way more interesting.
  12. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Even if you were to decide to switch right now, you wouldn't be able to do anything about it for a while. Why not wait until the products are not only officially announced, but actually available for sale. You'll have more information then. Certainly prices - currently unknown - will factor into your decisions, right?
  13. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    The boffins that are ontop of the GH2 & GH3 video hacking don't seem interested in the E-M5 and therefore the E-M1 is unlikely to benefit from their attentions in the near future so for video I'd say stick with the GH series.
  14. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    I'm on the same boat as you waiting to see the video quality of the EM-1. And like you I don't need 80mbs or the 'pro' video qualities of the GH series (my assumption your post). If the video codec doesn't break apart like current Olympus bodies and the autofocus benefits from phase detection (direct natural looking focus transitions and tracking) and of course the steadycam like quality of ibis we'll have a winner. Bonus would be touch to focus and ability to change settings (aperture, iso, etc like GH) while filming so you don't have to stop start and miss moments. I don't even care about the 60fps or 24fps even if it's just 30 / 25 I'm fine. 60fps would be a nice bonus =). I disagree with some of the digital world that you need 24fps for a film look. Anamorphic + proper grading gets film look. Sorry drifting ....
  15. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I predict the E-M1 kit to be $2000-$2100
  16. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Indeed. If only it would have OIS.....
  17. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    I think you're underestimating. The body only has been rumored at $1500, and it's unlikely the lens will be cheaper than the 12-35. At introduction, almost certainly more. The 12-35 was $1300 at intro, so I'd guess the 12-40 will be at least that. So even if there's discount for the kit I'd say not less than $2500, maybe more.
  18. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    As a non-video person, I can only assume that the OP might like to get hold of the Oly 5 axis IBIS which is lacking in the GH3. IF the EM1 has better codecs I think a lot of video guys might look at switching. I don't think it's GAS at all as the IBIS seems like a pretty major benifit for video as well as stills.

19. jpark1982

jpark1982 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2013
    If you're big into video then the GH3 is a tough one to beat. One of my friends who shoots video for a living swears by the GH3 +12-35/35-100 combo, it has replaced his 5DM3 as his main camera. Shooting as much video as he does, the extra weight reduction is a huge relief he tells me.

Me, I'm not a huge video guy, I shot 2-3 short clips today of my daughter using the EM5 with onboard video and I'm satisfied. I'm more concerned with actually getting the clip rather than what bit rate it was recorded at, but that's just me.
  20. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Not 100% yet but I'm pretty close so far.
    EM-1 12-40 kit = $2200
    12-40 lens = $900

I was only off by $100 on both

(FT5) Price of the E-M1 and 12-40mm lens in YEN | 43 Rumors