GH2 with 14-140??

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by SuperSonic, Sep 7, 2012.

1. SuperSonic

SuperSonic New to Mu-43

Sep 7, 2012
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Hi folks,

I'm new here and found the forum while doing some online equipment research.

I currently have a Pentax k-x with 18-55 and 55-300 lenses and I like the handling of the D-SLR and as the k-x is on the small size anyway, the size and weight isn't a big issue.

But, I was considering changing the lenses for a single lens in the 18-250 range for convenience.

That set me thinking and after some research, I wondered whether the GH2 with 14-140 may be a better option for me. The cost of both options seems close enough to not really factor in too much.

I shoot a mixture of family, holidays, wildlife, some motorsport and occasional video but video is a nice-to-have really. I want convenience without sacrificing IQ and I want to occasionally be able to over-ride the camera or make manual settings.

So, will the GH2 with 14-140 be a good fit for me ?
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I love this combination, especially as a travel kit. The 14-140 is remarkably sharp and contrasty, especially for a 10X zoom. It's performance through most of the range is on par with the well-liked 14-45 zoom. It's a bit heavy compared to other m43 camera/lens combos, but still much smaller and lighter than an equivalent APS-C camera and lens.

But. I think it's maybe a bit short for some of what you want to do, in particular wildlife and motorsports. Your 55-300, on APS-C, has a FOV equivalent to 450mm on a 35mm body; the 14-140 FOV equals a 280mm lens on 35mm. That's a big difference.

Aside from that, many will tell you that m43 isn't ideal for fast moving sports. CDAF, while very, very fast for single frame, relatively static subjects, can't match the AF tracking and predictive AF of the better DSLRS. (I don't know how the k-x performs, so this isn't a direct comparison.) For panning as race cars go by it will work fine; for tracking cars coming toward you, maybe not so well.

As far as IQ, I find the GH2 excellent, with one caveat. The default jpeg settings leave quite a bit to be desired. If you shoot raw, this won't matter. If you shoot jpeg, you'll want to tweak the settings a bit.

Like anything else, m43 involves compromise. If size and weight really isn't an issue for you, AND if motorsports and wildlife is very important, then another lens for your k-x might be a better bet. A 250mm would have equivalent FOV to 375mm on FF. Not as long as what you've got now, but a fair bit longer than than the 280mm equivalent with the Panasonic.

OTOH, a GH2 with 14-140 and 100-300 would probably be lighter than what you carry now, and give you considerably more reach.
  3. SuperSonic

SuperSonic New to Mu-43

Sep 7, 2012
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Thanks Meyerweb for taking the time for such a detailed reply.

I don't find that I'm using the very top of the 55-300 range at the moment, and I've noticed that the difference between 250 and 300 is not as big as it may sound.

But, as you say the difference between 450 and 280 equivalent is significant and something i need to consider.
  4. ChipThome

ChipThome Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2011
    I am in this Facebook group for GH cameras and right now there's a "one lens" question out there asking for feedback on what one lens, if you could only have one, would you take for an Alaskan vacation. Overwhelmingly, the consensus is the 14-140. If the same group was asked "what is your favorite lens" the collection of opinions I am sure would be wide and vast. But all do recognize, that given proper light, the 14-140 is a stellar piece of glass.
  5. SuperSonic

SuperSonic New to Mu-43

Sep 7, 2012
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Thanks ChipThome,

I guess I'm in one of those traditional decision points - what am I prepared to sacrifice for convenience?

If all I'm losing is some range and some focus speed for fast subjects, then I think I can live with that...

I want to keep the handling (I've got quite small hands :eek:), IQ and manual override.
  6. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA

If size is not an important factor, I would recommend sticking with the Pentax. My understanding is that this camera has great image quality and they have a fantastic selection of lenses and accessories. Also, you can use most all of their lenses produced since the 1960's since the have kept the same lens mount.

7. SuperSonic

SuperSonic New to Mu-43

Sep 7, 2012
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Thanks for all the helpful comments.

I'm sure the GH2 with the 14-140 lens combination would be great. However, for now I think I'm going to sell my two lenses on ebay and get a slightly used tamron 18-250.

I maybe back for a GH2 (or even GH3?) in a few months...