GH2 with 100-300mm lens

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by amendegw, May 18, 2012.

1. amendegw

amendegw Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2012
    Wilmington, DE USA
    Hi! New to this forum with a brand new Panny GH2 & Lumix G Vario 100-300mm lens. I have a question.

When handheld, the palm of my right hand is continually inadvertently pressing the buttons on the "Menu Set" buttons on the back of the camera. This is happening because the weight of the lens is forcing camera body against my palm.

I've been trying to support the camera with my left hand under the lens, but this isn't always possible.

What are other's techniques to avoid this issue?

2. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Welcome and congratulations.

I have a GH2, G3 and a E-M5 and I'm continually pressing one button or the other inadvertantly all the time with any lens.

Small cameras with lots of controls all in the same place, right under the ball of your right thumb.

Comes with the :43: territory I'm afraid.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Yep, me too. I've gotten so I can push the Menu button again while looking through the viewfinder, without missing a beat.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. AndrewS

AndrewS Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    Yes that is a problem with the GH2 and other M43 cameras. I have been studying the ergonomics of this for some time. You can find my observations about the GH2 and other discussions about camera ergonomics on my camera ergonomics blog at Camera Ergonomics
    • Like Like x 2
  5. amendegw

amendegw Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2012
    Wilmington, DE USA
    Thanks all!

@AndrewS, Enjoyed your ergonomics website. I have not yet noticed the Shutter Shake Syndrome, but now that I'm aware of it, I'll keep this in mind.

6. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Same here, pressing buttons inadvertently all the time. I didn't have that issue on my Nikon D200 and D300s, let alone the F3. Still I don't consider going back to DSLRs, the blog mentioned before has some remarks on the Canon 60D's focussing issues and these reminded me of my constant struggle with getting critically sharp focussing on the D200 and D300s. And yes, I've tried fine-tune AF extensively, up to the point of complete and utter frustration with zoom lenses that would do reasonably well at one end of the zoom range and not at the other.

Try to set the white balance of the GH2 using a grey card in your left hand and the camera in your right hand.... If you managed, please tell me how :mad:.
  7. Sawfish

Sawfish Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Very interesting blog - Thank you

8. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    Pressing menu/set using Panasonic 14-45 on gf3, cheers!

Panasonic gf3 lumix14 2.5 Olympus14-42 3.5-5.6
    Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Mu-43 App