GH2 vs GX1 for Video??

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2012
    Understand the GH2 is the video king because audio, ext mic, etc, but shouldn't video be better on GX1?
  2. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    I think you just answered your own question. If the GH2 is king then, E-M5 IBIS aside, how could it get any better?
  3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Not really.... after all the GX-1 is a stills camera that also shoots video, whereas the GH-2 in its concept has been designed to produce the best video for the price in a still camera form factor.

The GH2 when it came out it cost around 1000 dollars for the body ( though the price has reduced , probably in anticipation of the GH3), which is in a different price bracket from the GX1

for someone who is more serious about making a finished video as opposed to point and squirt shooting while on holiday or with the family, the GX1 has some limitations, such as the lack of external audio, limited control over the basic parameters of shutter and ISO and inability to work in 24 fps.

Thats not to say you couldn't shoot a good video with a GX-1... but in the end the factors that make for a good video, such as interesting, easy to watch shots, editied together with a clear soundtrack that engages the audience and tells a story all have almost nothing to do with the camera and almost everything to do with the videographer and their grasp of the complexities of video/film making.

4. Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2012
    Thanks for this. Very clear now ;)
  5. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    The GH2 allows full control of shutter, aperture and iso in video, the GX1 only let's you set the iso. The GH2 has a full range of video modes including 24p, the GX1 doesn't have 24p. The EVF and flip out LCD are also very useful when shooting video and only the GH2 has that.
  6. Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2012
    I have the 7d which I previously used for stills and started using it more or video. Since I now have a bunch of m43 lens, the gh2 is tempting to compliment the gx1. Should I just let the 7d go? ????
  7. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    it really depends on how serious you want to take your video...its not just about camera and lenses.

In order of importance you should to consider/budget for the following

1) decent fast computer, storage and editing software
    2) Good tripod and fluid head
    3) external audio recorder and some decent microphones
    4) some books/training on editing and basic film making.

Cannot emphasise how important editing is... and how much fun it can be when you get into it...its the magic that turn your shots into a story.

you can check out where I am coming from in terms of video here

most examples shot on micro 4/3 or lately on a GoPro

I don't regard myself as a pro.. but I have moved on from the point squirt and bore the family/never view stage of video making

8. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    There is a hack now out for the GX1 that increases the bit rate of video so that should be helpful for getting the best video quality out of that body. The GH2 still surpasses the other m4/3 cameras in this department however, I think we all agree on that!
  9. Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2012
    Thanks Kevin.,. Can u recommend audio recorder? I have a rode mic pro and wasn't that impressed by it. Nice vids btw
  10. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium

I have a Rode Videomic pro and I have been very happy with it... i used it for the PaytoPaycheck video and the Night of memories.. I have a somewhat ancient Edirol R09 as my recorder.... though any of the current 100-200 dollar devices should offer good recording quality... you could probably get away with using an iPhone

I use Final Cut Pro X on a mac which makes syncing audio to video easy... I record audio both on the camera and via the good mic to the edirol... the camera audio is for syncing purposes only.. i dont use that for the final mix.

I also have a audio technica wireless lavaliere mic which was 150 dollars though i haven't used this for a real project yet.

Audio is tricky to get right... just another one of the skills you have to master.

If you enjoy the challenge making video as opposed to taking video it can be a lot of fun

11. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    The Edirol R-09 is my recorderas well, though any of the digital 24bit .wav file recorders from Edirol, Zoom, Tascam, or Sony should work well. As for mics, that depends very much on what kind of audio you are capturing and from where. Any mic that is not self powered will need a battery box or plug-in power to function properly.
  12. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I use both the Edirol R09 and Zoom H4n, with the H4n also handling external wired mics due to it's phantom power ability.

With audio, there's just no substitute for getting closer, whether it's a recorder just out of view, a lapel mic, or a shotgun on a boom. A microphone mounted on-camera is only because you're not in a posItIon to setup audio differently, such as run-and-gun, or your subject is just too far away, eg wildlife.

My 7d sees some occasional video work, but only because it's already on a tripod, or I don't have the lens I need in m43. I use my T3i much more often for video just because of the availability of Magic Lantern. The peaking mode alone is worth it.
  13. Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2012
    Is the gx1 hack stable yet...? Gotta check that out
  14. Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2012
  15. Stitz

Stitz New to Mu-43

Jul 31, 2012
    now i know what to buy...GH2! thanks guys, i just need to find a good 2nd hand GH2
  16. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I did.

I really liked the 7D...A lot.

But once I tried out the m4/3rds system with a few lenses and an Olympus Pen, got a used GH2 body, I haven't reached for a Canon since (and I like Canon).

Sold off the 7D, a T3i, and a couple of L series lenses. I will be doing video with a pair of GH2s, and the following lenses: Lumix 14mm f2.5, Lumix 20mm f1.7, Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25mm f1.4, Olympus 45mm f1.8, Lumix 14-42mm "kit" lens, and the Lumix 45-200mm zoom.

The primes are so sharp I don't feel like I gave up anything by selling the L series glass.

But I still have a 60D left, 3 primes I used mostly for video, and 2 EF-S zooms (18-55mm "kit" and 55-250mm). My basic "run around" camera is the Olympus E-P3.
  17. Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2012
    I decided to sell my canon primes and hold on to 10-22, 17-55, 70-200 for versatility. Gx1 with 12, 20, 45 now has new sibling... Voight 25 0.95.... I love it ! :)

Attached Files: