GH2 viewfinder question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by isabel95, Oct 14, 2011.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

I just got the camera a couple of days ago and have adjusted the diopter for my vision.

I would like to know if others have had the experience that I'm having.

Pictures look perfectly in focus before I click the shutter.

On review, they lack the detail that the pre-shutter click images have.

2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Do you mean that they lack detail on the LCD, or when you review them on your computer?

Are you shooting RAW or jpeg?
  3. isabel95

Shooting in both raw and jpg....

I'm talking about lacking detail in the viewfinder after they're shot.

I was really surprised, however, that pictures of vultures I took today that I thought were in focus were not, when viewed on the computer (with the 45-200 lens)

4. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Could we talking about focus, stability or shutter speed issues rather than diopter issues? In your shoes I'd be taking some test shots of totally static objects at varying distances, etc to try and pin it down a bit more.... posting a couple of the shots would really help, as camera shake/focus is quite easy to identify.
  5. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Hmmmm, the reason I ask is that (when shooting RAW) the image replay, on either the LCD of EVF, is very soft and pixelated when magnified, but then when viewed on a monitor the images are plenty sharp (assuming I haven't stuffed up focus...)
  6. isabel95

entirely possible it's lack of stabilization...

I've been spoiled by the E-PL1.

Haven't really had problems with totally static subjects.

7. isabel95

i know it gets pixelated when it's enlarged...

It just looks less detailed even at the same size as when I originally locked focus.

8. isabel95

I figured out why so many were out of focus!

I had turned on continuous focus because I thought that should be the setting for video - clearly that was the problem.

Single focus is much better for stills.

9. Image view

I have a GH2. I have seen exactly what you are describing. The image looks sharp in the viewfinder during focus but appears not so sharp in the instant replay after the shot.

I assume this has something to do with how the camera displays the image from the live view vs. how it displays from the stored JPG file. I learned not to worry about it too much. If the image is sharp in the pre-shot image it will be sharp in the image taken. That said, I usually shoot in RAW mode and will say that the JPGs are a little soft. I almost always sharpen or contrast enhance my RAW files, so it is possible that what we are seeing is the softness of the JPG image.

I need -4.25 adjustment in my glasses and I love the diopter adjustment in this camera. This was one of factors I looked at very closely before deciding on this camera. I had a chance to use a Nikon D60 a week ago. It was in a low light situation. Between the small, dark viewfinder, a limited diopter adjustment and a very poor adjustment switch, the viewfinder was just about useless. I don't understand how people with crop-frame DSLRs keep saying how wonderful their optical viewfinders are. I'll take an electronic viewfinder over any optical one!
  10. isabel95

Thanks for the confirmation...

I always shoot in both raw and jpg. Have beefed up the settings in nostalgic for punchier jpgs should I choose to use them, but I usually wind up editing the raw images.

I gave the GH2 a heavy workout today shooting an outdoor political demonstration. "Occupy Together" - a set on Flickr

I could have used fill flash but I haven't mastered how to accomplish that without either washing out or underexposed the resultant images.

Made a super video along with the stills but was disappointed to see that I had exceeded my upload limit on Vimeo Plus and can't upload till next week, but I'm sure I haven't uploaded 5 gigs of video this week - am very puzzled.

I had to give up using my Nikkormat film camera (many years ago, and I wouldn't want to use it now) because it had no diopter adjustment.

While the EVF of the GH2 is very nice, I prefer the VF2 that I use with my E-PL1.