1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH2 video shooting, any tips?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by sinpig, Dec 11, 2011.

1. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    I purchase my GH2 back in September, with the intention of getting rid of my camcorder. I figure it was a heck of a lot more convenient if I have to carry just one camera instead of two. But the reality is I have not shot any video up to this point.

Now all of this is about to change as my kids pre-school recital approaches this next Thursday. I have the 14-140mm lens since I read they compliment each other beautifully but it worries me that I have no clue about how to go about it.

So, is there any tips or advice you're willing to share about what should I do. most specifically what technical settings should I have the camera to? And really whatever other tips you feel are relevant.

Regards!

2. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I'll follow this thread closely as I plan to get into videography as well.

3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Get a tall sturdy tripod. It will help you see over the other people's heads.

• Like Like x 1
  4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Get a tripod with a fluid head! Unless you plan on shooting mise en scène{locking the camera in place and letting the action play in front of the lens} you will need a fluid head to allow smooth panning and tilting.

If you are wanting good audio you might want to get an external mic. Even a cheap one will give better sound than the built in one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  6. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    If you've upgraded the GH2 firmware to 1.1 already then you don't want to do this (yet). Vitaly is working on hacking the new firmware but it's not ready.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    my suggestions would be

1) ignore all the hacking nonsense... the standard camera produces superb quality out of the box

2) If you still have your camcorder... then take that as well. Set it up front and centre on a tripod to cover the whole stage and to record the audio and the action on stage on one continuous take. This will give you a master track

3) use the GH2 to shoot close ups - record the audio so you can sync this to the master track later ( Final Cut X makes this very easy...)

4) shoot lots of B-roll - shots of the audience clapping, arriving, the empty stage etc

5) Put aside several evenings to edit the footage - you will be sick of the whole event by the time you finish the edit as you will have heard it all a zillion times :)

Lay down the master track and then cut in all the GH2 footage to that.....the master track allows you to fill in the gaps when you are changing position, zooming or focussing with the GH2

Good luck

K

K

• Like Like x 2
  8. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Make sure you have at least quad core computer with plenty of storage

• Like Like x 1
  9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

:rofl: Sad but true! But at least it sounds like it's video of his kids so that makes it easier. Nothing worse than editing footage of something you find boring. Even worse if you didn't shoot the video , still worse if it was poorly shot. I have edited some really weird stuff!

Having two cameras is a great idea and when it comes to syncing the two find where somebody used a flash. Line up the two tracks with the same flash and they are in sync.

Avoid zooming while shooting! If you do have to zoom go slow. A fast zoom looks bad!

• Like Like x 1
  10. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010

What are you talking about? The hacking really does improve the video quality, especially in lower-light situation and when there are so many things going on in the scene. It lowers the "muddy" patches that comes from not having enough bitrate in very busy scenes.

The 1.1 firmware improved the quality in low-light, but there is definitely a legitimate place for the hack for those who wants to continue to use the near-cinema higher-quality bitrate.

The hacking is free, the 1.1 firmware is free. Just staying w/ the original firmware is like staying w/ the kit lens. Pretty good, but can be better!

• Like Like x 2
  11. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium

I am sure it does improve the quality... Just did the 1.1 upgrade this morning, but havent checked it out... in the context of the OP's request there are many other things to worry about before getting into that whole area..... sounds like he wants to learn to walk... not beat Usain Bolts 100m record

K

• Like Like x 1
  12. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    What he said.

I'd go a step further and suggest you leave the GH2 at home, put the trusty camcorder on sticks, hit record, and enjoy your child's recital

• Like Like x 1
  13. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    The hack will...
    ...and will eat through SD cards like they were going out of style
    ...probably make the camera less stable and less likely to last the whole recital without a problem
    ...make things more complex/harder. As Kevin said, there's already a lot of (new) moving parts to worry about

While technology is great, it's not the panacea. It doesn't completely replace experience and skill and creativity.

• Like Like x 2
  14. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    So I have the tripod, a couple of 32gb class 10 cards, and I guess I won't hack the GH2, so I have a couple other questions:

My camcorder is a Canon Vixia HF G10 is pretty easy to use but the software that comes with it is not very user friendly, I notice a couple of you mentioned syncing both the GH2 and the camcorder, is there any particular software that does this?

I own the Corel Video director, is it good enough? I just want a nice video but only for family use and, they know I'm a photographer not a videographer LOL!!

What metering mode will work better spot or multi-metering?

External microphones, is there one that you'll recommend? and,

Do I want the digital zoom on? I never use digital zoom for photography, but what about video?

Thanks to all.

15. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    sin

I am not up on PC video edit software... I am a Mac man - hopefully someone else can answer those questions.

As for metering - my perference is to shoot manual... set the shutter speed to 1/50 or 1/60, switch off auto ISO and adjust aperture and ISO to get a good exposure.

regarding external miss... I recently got a Rode Videomic Pro... not cheap but good quality. I used it on the video below, shot in a small bar. I had the mic on a small tripod, and recording the sound to a hand held digital recorder.

I would avoid the digital zoom - keeping the camera steady is a real challenge if you are going hand held, and longer focal lengths make that harder.

This was my first trip out with the GH2 with the oly 45mm (only got it a few days before). shot at either 1600 or 3200 ISO. I did have a second camera , but didn't use any of the shots in this edit, but rather plugged the gaps with bits from other songs

[ame=http://vimeo.com/33533553]Paycheck to Paycheck - Vicki Hill & House on Vimeo[/ame]

cheers

K

• Like Like x 1
  16. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    I own a mac computer. What software do I use to edit videos shot with the GH2?

17. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I used FCPX in the video above... though I am sure you can use the latest iMovie which you can get the App store

hover you do need a pretty powerful modern Mac and a lot of disc space. The footage the GH2 produces is a very compressed format that isn't easy to edit.

K

18. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Start with iMovie.

19. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    If you're not comfortable with manual, I would suggest spot. I think a dark auditorium would confuse the multi-metering. As long as your daughter's part of the recital is not the first thing on the program, you can work on nailing the exposure with the earlier acts before she comes on.

• Like Like x 1
  20. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    Wow Kevin, that's spot on, very nice!!
    Excellent editing job and thank so much for your advice.