GH2 Video Mode 24 fps, 29.97 fps, vs. 59.94 fps

JDS

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David Schultz
Or that exposure time should always be 1/2 the length of a frame even if the motion blur makes stabilization impossible

I'm completely confused, how does motion blur make stabilization impossible? I assume you aren't talking about IBIS, are you talking about digital stabilization in post or something? IBIS video on the E-M5 II looks fantastic at shutter speeds of 2x frame rate.

jackalope

Mu-43 Rookie
I'm completely confused, how does motion blur make stabilization impossible? I assume you aren't talking about IBIS, are you talking about digital stabilization in post or something? IBIS video on the E-M5 II looks fantastic at shutter speeds of 2x frame rate.
Yes I'm talking about stabilization in post

JDS

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David Schultz
Yes I'm talking about stabilization in post

I guess that's why it's better to stabilize the camera, so you can optimize the video. Gotta try that IBIS of the EM5 II, it's really good as long as the movements aren't so much that the IBIS hits the limit of its motion.

jackalope

Mu-43 Rookie
I guess that's why it's better to stabilize the camera, so you can optimize the video. Gotta try that IBIS of the EM5 II, it's really good as long as the movements aren't so much that the IBIS hits the limit of its motion.

I'm sure you can achieve something close with an automated rig, but IBIS or lens stabilization can't get anywhere close to what you can do in post

I think the major benefit of IBIS/OS is it reduces the blur from camera shake so you can do the post processing stabilization

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
24P is good for low light situations but now days I tend to shoot in 30 fps as my standard or 60 fps for slow motion. I find Mercalli PRO 4.0 a pretty amazing piece of software for post stabilization (fairly inexpensive for what it does).

JDK504

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Always shoot at 60fps and render out at the desired frame rate in post. Unless you know you aren't going to slow anything down and want more of a cinematic look then shoot in native 24p or 30P (your desired frame rate).

Problem solved.

Make sure your settings are correct or you'll get a choppy render in Vegas (make sure your video settings match the template you create when you first open up Vegas).

Make sure to disable resample on video (right click on video file on timeline).

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom