1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Gh2 to em5

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rusty, Mar 26, 2012.

1. rusty

rusty Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    Is anybody changing from a gh2 to an
    E-m5? If so, why? I'm currently thinking about this move.

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    You gain weather sealing and IBIS, but you lose the multi-aspect sensor, the video features, the swivel screen, and the on-board flash. Chances are that the sensor performance is near-identical, which, if the GX1 vs GH2 is any indication, the high ISO slightly going to the E-M5 and the dynamic range slightly going to the GH2. It's peanuts though, not enough to switch over. It's a lateral movement as far as I can tell, but on the bright side, you should be able to sell your GH2 easily, should you want to make the switch.

3. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I am considering another GH2 since I am doing more video work lately. I am also considering the E-M5,

Is there an inherent limitation that you find with the GH2 that compells you to seek the E-M5 as its replacement?

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    From what I've seen of the various comparison images published online, the differences in IQ are too small to justify the expense of a new camera. In terms of features, there are trade-offs, as enumerated by shnitz.

The one thing that might have motivated me to switch was dramatic improvements in C-
    AF, but I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe it's much better than the GH2. The jury's still out on just how good IBIS is, in spite of what the OMD fanboys would have you believe. Even if it offers 2 to 3 stops better results (which I don't really expect), I'm not sure I shoot static subjects in ultra dim light often enough to make it worth the cost of switching.

If I were holding a Pen, I think upgrading would be close to a no-brainer. It's far from clear that switching from a GH2 is worth it.

Bottom line: lenses will almost always make a bigger difference in your photography than a new body. If you really feel the GH2 is lacking in some area that limits you, make sure the OMD will resolve that limitation before jumping, and even then consider waiting to see what the GH3 will offer.

5. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

Tuition will make more of a difference than new equipment.

6. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Go for it! The OMD should be the best m4/3 when it hits the market. But be ready for the GH3!

7. rusty

rusty Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    I'd wait for the gh3, but want to get the most $ for my gh2. Thats why I'm considering selling it now.

8. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    That is certainly true for many of us.

9. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    And what limitations does the GH2 have that you think the OMD will solve? How will the OMD enable you to take photographs that you can't take today, or take better photographs than you can take today?

Honestly, if you can't make publication or exhibition quality images with the GH2, you won't likely be able to with the OMD. Or a D800, D4, EOS 1Dx, or any other camera.

• Like Like x 1
  10. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    That's true, but it doesn't make meyerweb's statement any less true. When making a gear investment, lenses will have a much more stark impact on the photos than camera body, especially when making a lateral move to near-identical camera performance like between the e-m5 and gh2.

• Like Like x 1
  11. rusty

rusty Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    I'm not a good photographer. I just love taking pictures and videos o my daughter and I love sexy gear. I have 14-42x and the pana 25mm.

12. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    Everybody should upgrade immediately. I love buying great used gear for cheap!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    LOL.