1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH2 sudden brightness shifts

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by BillG, Aug 4, 2011.

1. BillG

BillG New to Mu-43

Aug 4, 2011
    Has anyone noticed that the GH2 has a sudden brightness shift when you move to a brighter or darker area when shooting video? Even when in manual mode. Even when using a fixed aperture lens. Even more bizarre, when moving to a brighter area like a window or light, the image gets suddenly brighter, when moving to a darker area it gets suddenly darker, the reverse of what you would expect. Does anyone know of a firmware update or some other fix? Or can anyone at least confirm that they've experienced this as well?

2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

More info

Are you by chance using SPOT metering? If the metering target moves onto a dark object it would brighten up. I've not noticed this on my camera. No firmware updates I'm aware of. Have you got video posted somewhere we can see? Is this seen only on the LCD or on the actual video?

3. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    BillG are you talking about the viewfinder or the actual photo/video? I have my VF/EVF set up in "Constant Preview" IIRC, which shows me an overexposed image if my resulting photo will be overexposed and vice versa.

4. BillG

BillG New to Mu-43

Aug 4, 2011
    I just did a test and the problem seemed to go away when I used the multiple metering. Thanks for the suggestion!

5. BillG

BillG New to Mu-43

Aug 4, 2011
    Actual video. The multiple metering might be the answer though. I just did a test and it seemed to solve the problem. I'll do some more tests and let you know. Thanks for responding.