GH2 slow with 20/1.7 in bright light

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by addieleman, Sep 16, 2012.

1. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    This afternoon I got annoyed again by the extremely long shutter-lag when using the GH2 with the 20/1.7 in bright light. This appears to come from 2 cycles of diaphragm opening like shown in the video. This is only 1 shutter actuation!

Anyone else noticed this? Is there a setting that I should adapt? How does the G5 behave with this lens? Thanks!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wT_uEimd1q0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I did some further experimenting. If the camera is pointed at a bright light, the diaphragm closes to a small aperture, f/8 or so. The behaviour in the video occurs if the the camera is set to f/5.6 for the exposure and pointed to bright light like in backlit scenes. Why on earth it opens up twice, I have no idea. In darker surroundings the lens stays wide-open and only closes the digaphragm once during taking the picture. Like always I prefocussed by pressing the shutter button halfway before actually firingm so the 20's slow focussing is not the issue here. Camera is on AF-S and focus priority.

Even in darker surroundings the lens is fairly slow to react, except when you use it wide-open, then it is as fast as when you use a legacy lens; the GH2's shutter lag is lowest with legacy lenses. So in fact, if you want this lens/camera combo to respond swiftly, you need to shoot wide-open.

Unless I have missed some setting...

3. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    Interesting. I thought I was the only one also, but I felt a similar lag while using it on a G3. I thought the PENS would be slower at focusing Panasonic lenses, especially the 20, but after some brief testing I've noticed that the 20 is actually faster on my E-P3 than the G3 at all aperture settings. On both cameras I've noticed a slight shutter delay when stopping down too, so it's more than likely a combination both camera and lens rather than one or the other.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I noticed it too with my 20mm and GH2. Unfortunately I've since sold the lens so I can't really check it properly...

• Like Like x 1