1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

GH2 slow with 20/1.7 in bright light

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by addieleman, Sep 16, 2012.

1. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    This afternoon I got annoyed again by the extremely long shutter-lag when using the GH2 with the 20/1.7 in bright light. This appears to come from 2 cycles of diaphragm opening like shown in the video. This is only 1 shutter actuation!

Anyone else noticed this? Is there a setting that I should adapt? How does the G5 behave with this lens? Thanks!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wT_uEimd1q0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I did some further experimenting. If the camera is pointed at a bright light, the diaphragm closes to a small aperture, f/8 or so. The behaviour in the video occurs if the the camera is set to f/5.6 for the exposure and pointed to bright light like in backlit scenes. Why on earth it opens up twice, I have no idea. In darker surroundings the lens stays wide-open and only closes the digaphragm once during taking the picture. Like always I prefocussed by pressing the shutter button halfway before actually firingm so the 20's slow focussing is not the issue here. Camera is on AF-S and focus priority.

Even in darker surroundings the lens is fairly slow to react, except when you use it wide-open, then it is as fast as when you use a legacy lens; the GH2's shutter lag is lowest with legacy lenses. So in fact, if you want this lens/camera combo to respond swiftly, you need to shoot wide-open.

Unless I have missed some setting...

3. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    Interesting. I thought I was the only one also, but I felt a similar lag while using it on a G3. I thought the PENS would be slower at focusing Panasonic lenses, especially the 20, but after some brief testing I've noticed that the 20 is actually faster on my E-P3 than the G3 at all aperture settings. On both cameras I've noticed a slight shutter delay when stopping down too, so it's more than likely a combination both camera and lens rather than one or the other.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I noticed it too with my 20mm and GH2. Unfortunately I've since sold the lens so I can't really check it properly...

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.