GH2 sick after hacking...

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by toeth, Mar 7, 2013.

1. toeth

toeth New to Mu-43

Mar 7, 2013
    Hello! I applied quite a few different hacks last summer to my GH2, then I rolled back to the factory firmware last August to ensure a crash-free camera for corporate gigs. When I went back this month to apply the 66mbp hack, it finds the firmware on the SD card as usual (formatted in camera and loaded up on full original battery) upon hitting the "play" button. Seemed like a successful firmware/hack update. However, the video quality is now noticeably interlaced (regardless of bit rate/cinema settings), and the video is hazy and washed out from how it once was even from 24Mbp. Not to mention the pixelation is nearly lego sized in dark settings. I've since attempted other various hacks. They're all located and installed, but none of the expected features are evident. Any ISO settings beyond factorys setting (up to 12,800) are visible, but blacked out and non-selectable in any setting for one example.

I've since looked for tutorials on what to do AFTER the first-time hack, and how to correctly hack over bad hacks and any pertinent info on post-first-hack increment numbering, etc. to no luck. For the record, I'm on number GH2_V26.bin. I've heard so much conflicting and varying commentary about what the version increment number has to be set at, that I've come to conclusion it must be irrelevant if it varies that much youtuber to youtuber on the first time hack instructions. I have noted that it's very important though to make sure version increment is checkboxed in ptools. Also the number before .bin in the firmware is also imperative as that's what the camera looks for (please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these assumptions). I've probably become rusty on the details since last summer, and that might well be my issue now. I don't consider myself an expert on hacking by any means.

So is there a way to get my GH2 back? Has my foggy memory on how to correctly hack killed it? I'd love to get the 66 hack back on there as I know the quality was once amazing.

Thanks for any help!
  2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Thin ice

I personally know of 3 people who toasted the Venus engine chip by applying these patches. If increasing the video quality was as easy as applying new firmware than why would they (Panasonic) redesign the GH3? By raising the bit rate you generate a lot more heat, probably more than the chip was designed to withstand.

True, many have applied the patch and enjoyed an increase in quality but doing so is walking on thin ice. Given the decreasing value of GH2's now that GH3's are available, the repair could exceed the camera's market value. I'd do a lot of research before you start applying different versions. See if someone else experienced the same symptoms.
  3. tetakpatak

tetakpatak Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 12, 2012
    Hi toeth!

I don't belive anything is wrong with your camera. Some pp softwares have problems with the MTS files (like Adobe v6.0) but it has nothing to do with the camera usually.

1. If "version increment" is checked in the Ptool, the number of your new firmware file makes no difference for the camera

2. Way to re-load original Panasonic firmware: load it into the latest ptool version, make sure to leave all options but "version increment" unchecked (in patches for users and testers) and save it.

3. Using some of stable, good and verified settings from the p-v site is better than trying on yourself with just raising the bitrate. Try for example the patch Cake v2.3 by balazer. It could fit for your needs. With proper SD card it spans, works great by superb IQ and never freezes. Reformat your card in thr camera before any important session.