1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH2 Shutter Shock Syndrome S.S.S.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by AndrewS, May 18, 2012.

1. AndrewS

AndrewS Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    I have recently been evaluating and comparing the Panasonic 100-300mm and Olympus 75-300mm lenses, on a Panasonic GH2 body. Along the way I discovered a series of unsharp frames in my test runs. These appear to be due to the effect of shutter shock at certain shutter speeds with the camera on a tripod. You can read all about it at Camera Ergonomics

• Like Like x 1
  2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Thank you for your work. This is really interesting.

I have really steady hands and with my GH2, I can reliably handhold 14 and 20mm lenses at 1/10-1/15. However, I can not reliably handhold my 45mm lens at 1/100. And now I know why.

3. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    By the way, I experience the same thing with the GF2. Now I mostly use my 45mm lens in the Shutter Priority mode with shutter speeds of 1/200s or higher.

4. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Thank you very much for investigating this. It surely explains why I'm sometimes not so happy with my shots taken at the critical shutter speeds around 1/160 s. I must say that the pronounced double-line effect of the 45-175mm disappeared after updating its firmware, but still shots aren't supersharp between, say, 1/100 and 1/200s. At 1/320 and faster it's OK.

I also concur with your description of lenses with defects. Especially in the days of moulded aspherical lenses and plastic mechanics it looks like you have to make several attempts to get a lens sample without obvious defects. I have this experience with Nikon and Panasonic, the only two companies I bought AF lenses from. My legacy lenses (mostly Minolta) also show sample variation, but symmetrical across the frame, no such things as an unsharp right edge only.

5. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Every camera can exhibit this vibration problem at some shutter speed or another. The shutter (and mirror for SLRs) causes a vibration when it trips, and if that vibration is a significant part of the exposure it will show up in the photo.

If you shot a 30sec exposure you wouldn't see a problem because the vibration of the shutter would be a tiny part of the overall exposure. If you shot a 1/4000sec exposure you wouldn't see the problem because the exposure ended before the camera could move very far.

If you REALLY want to see this problem, try shooting the moon with a long telephoto at various shutter speeds. If you have a camera with live view you can get an even more graphic demonstration of vibration if you aim at the moon (or some similar subject) and tap the camera lightly. You can see the vibration spike and die down through oscillations. The effectiveness of your tripod setup will determine just how much vibration you see.

For long exposures some astro photographers put a hat or something in front of the camera when tripping the shutter, so you don't get the initial vibration in the image. For shorter exposures you have to stabilize the heck out of the camera or just avoid shutter speeds where vibrations are their worst.

As an aside, I was surprised how much torque my GH1's shutter generates when handholding. It doesn't match the 5D, but it's definitely more than my 7D, which is surprising considering the 7D has to move a heavy mirror very quickly and the GH1 only has to move shutter blades slowly. My EM5 has a much more tame shutter. It reminds me of my old Olympus E-10, which was nearly rangefinder-like in its shutter action.

6. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    lol.. maybe we should just go back to leaf shutters.

One thing I don't quite understand is why we need shutters on digital cameras. Or is it to hard to make the sensor sensitivity switch on/off at effective speeds/battery life that we've grown used to?