GH2: Shuts down while shooting video

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Crdome, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Why does my GH2 always shut down, after various time durations, while shooting of videos? It is set in the video mode. It occurs after activation by using regular shutter button or the red instant video button.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    Not sure if related, but my Gx7 would occasionally get some kind of card writing error when shooting video. Maybe try a new SD?

3. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Thank you. Unfortunately it occurs with 3 cards.

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Temperature related ?... sensors get hot when shooting over long periods.. if ambient temperature is high it may reach a limit and shut off.

your mention it happens over various durations... any indications of what kind of times we are talking about?

K

5. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    What brand are those cards? This issue can be very common with cards that cannot keep up with the camera.

It also becomes far more critical if you are running some of the firmware "patches" (hacks) on this camera. I ran minimum SanDisk Class (10) 30Mbps cards in mine with Flowmotion 2.02 and never had a problem.

6. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Shooting hackless at room temperature 72°F. The durations are prehaps perhaps 6 -20 minutes Batteries are fully charged. PNY 64gb Class (10) 14.5 hrs HD video, 90Mbps and Lexar 16GB Professional 600x 90Mbps : (

7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
  8. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Thanks Kevin. Unfortunately it's the 14-140 4f and 7-14.

9. uberzone

uberzone Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 27, 2014
    First I would try reformatting the cards from the camera menu. If that still does not work you could try installing one of the hacks, honestly there is no reason not to. The quality is vastly superior and they are vary stable at this point. I know some PAL versions have an artificial record limit set on them to avoid extra taxes. The hacks will also remove this limitation.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    In the past when DSLRs with quality video capabilities were first on the market, some PNY and some Lexar exhibited the problems you are having. They would keep up with the camera for a while then shut down the recording when the buffer could no longer keep up.

My suggestion: Order one SanDisk EXTREME SDHC card from B&H (they don't seem to wind up with counterfeit media so far). There is one 16GB card for $18.95. See if that makes your problem go away.

There's also a 32GB for $27..99

The problem is many brands do NOT live up to specs printed on the card. Some are OK, some are just not. Most brands don't have the QC in manufacture SanDisk seems to have.

Order one SanDisk EXTREME or EXTREME PRO.

In the meantime try this: If your computer is a PC take the cards you have and do a "low level" format in the PC (Do NOT try this on a MAC without special utilities for just this). Then format in the camera. Panasonic cameras do not offer a "low level" format option. All they have is the quick format which does nothing more than zero out the file allocation table on the card. Image data and video file "pieces" are left on the card and eventually will cause problems including what you are experiencing.

I do the low level format on my media cards about every 4th or 5th use.

• Like Like x 1
  11. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    That card should be more than fast enough for an unpacked GH2, and if the card is too slow for video you'll get an error on screen.

I'd try different video modes, starting with the easiest (lowest resolution and frame rate) and slowly increasing from there.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Uberzone, Bruce, and John -Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try all in variations.

-Chrome

13. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Canada
    my camera stops recording only when my sd cards cant keep up or im in the wrong recording mode my sandisk cards work great but my other cards wont get even 5 seconds I am using hacks

14. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Canada
    try putting the record quality on Low it shouldn't turn off

15. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    It should be able to handle his video but many brands just flat do not live up to claimed specs. I followed these issues from 2009 and saw reports of many Class (10) cards fail to keep up with the camera. Buffer overflow would occur and the camera would report "Recording has been stopped automatically".

Yet because folk had purchased these "bargain brand" cards they would defend their purchase to the last breath.

SanDisk cards not properly managed will do this too but you get away with it longer. One guy never formatted his card in the camera. Got about 7 months out of it before he started seeing corrupted files and lost video.

Another deleted unwanted files but didn't reformat in camera. Took a few months for him to start seeing problems.

In most cases a low level format cured the problem. But the brand with the fewest problem reports consistently was SanDisk. But just because the media has "Class (10)" printed on the label is no guarantee the card is going to work.

Also beware of purchasing through ebay. Counterfeit media is rampant there.

16. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    This pretty much supports what I've said. I had 3 GH2 bodies and ran Sanity 5 and then Flowmotion 2.02. Never had a problem with SanDisk 30Mbps cards, 45Mbps, and 95Mbps.

I'm currently using 45Mbps in GH3s and 95Mbps in a GH4.

17. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Yup, that's why I suggested testing with low-bitrate settings to see if the problem goes away or is reduced. If the problem is mitigated with low bitrate settings, then the card is the likely suspect. But the OP claimed that the camera "shut down" or something like that, not "Recording has been stopped automatically" which suggests that something else might be going on.