1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH2 shoots Golf (Memorial Tournament)

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Jman, May 30, 2011.

1. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    So I went to day 1 of the practice rounds of The Memorial Tournament, which I shoot every year. As most of the big names were traveling from the Byron Nelson, I did very little shooting today...only two golfers on the course in the four hours I was there. I then left to conserve energy for a full day tomorrow, when most everyone should be out. Anyway, this is my first time shooting with solely m4/3, as the past two years I've shot it with my Canon 1Ds Mark II (last year with a 300mm f/2.8!)

I shot with my Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 and mostly my Canon FD 135mm f/2. I have to say, manual focus at these distances is not easy...you're sweating, which fogs the viewfinder, and there's little time to try and setup for a shot when they address the ball. Plus, both these lenses have a fair amount of PF and CA in high contrast situations like today, so that was fun. Still, got some decent shots given the limited shooting I was able to do (I hope to get a lot better shots tomorrow...if I get what I want, which is shots like I had last year, only two of these would be in my 'picks'). While the reduced dynamic range of the GH2 compared to my 1Ds II was evident (especially in JPEGs), the 40 fps burst (where the JPEGs came into play) allowed me to get some shots that I simply couldn't get with my Canon kit, as it can be made silent (which I did), which meant I could be close and still shoot through the whole swing. Here are a few shots from today. Hopefully tomorrow's shoot will be more fruitful (and clouds...please, clouds to reduce contrast!) As I said, only two golfers were on the course this morning: Matt Bettencourt (pink shirt) and Eugene Wong (white shirt).

memorial-1.

memorial-2.

memorial-3.

memorial-4.

memorial-5.

memorial-6.

memorial-7.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Wonderful captures....

Thanks!

3. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I don't know anything about shooting golf, but these look great to me.

4. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks! Much better day today...everyone was out and it was a fun day to shoot (though insanely hot). Of course, since it was another bright sunny day, the light was generally terrible, but there's not much you can do about that.

Most with the FD 135/2, two with the Oly 40-150:

memorial-8.

memorial-10.

memorial-11.

memorial-12.

memorial-13.

memorial-14.

memorial-15.

memorial-16.

memorial-17.

memorial-18.

memorial-19.

memorial-20.

• Like Like x 2
  5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Well done! Are these burst shots? Can you share some of your settings?

thx!