GH2 replaced with (brand new!) GH3

Lieven

Mu-43 Regular
I know I am lagging behind by at least 4 years ... I guess I just like old technology ;-)

I have been using a GH2 quite extensively in the past year (coming from a GF1 and GH1) and really can't find anything to fault in its picture quality. I did however have some little gripes about its body form - I use the camera a lot for cycling photography (both road cycling and mtbing) and it is a disaster to use with mtbing gloves on. I was continuously changing WB or focus area without wanting to. Also as much as I like the multi-aspect sensor when photographing 'slowly', when things get hectic I always ended up with the wrong aspect in the wrong moments.

So I decided to upgrade. Using the camera a lot in the outdoors, I wanted a robust, dust/splash proof, easy to handle body (meaning a good hand grip and lots of direct access buttons one does not actuate inadventertly). Add to that that I am a cheap photographer nearly always buying second hand, and not willing to pay more than 500 euro, especially for a M4/3 camera body. Ergo the GH4 was out of reach (they still sell for over 750 euro in Europe), but the GH3 is not (used A condition GH3 bodies can be had for about 350 to 400 euro). So after having owned (well, I still have them in the closet) a GH1 and a GH2, it was time to add a GH3 to the collection.

Some searching on Subito.it (Italian Craigslist) got me an A-listed GH3 body for 360 euro from a physical photography shop. On receiving the camera in the post, I noticed they forgot to include the battery though, so I am still waiting for that to arrive - should be in today. When emailing the shop to notify them of the missing battery, I also complimented them on the state of the camera which really looked like new ... only to get the answer back : it IS new!

Turns out they sold the second hand GH3 body in their shop after I already transfered the money and instead of apologizing and sending me the money back, they pulled a NOS GH3 from the shelves and sent that instead! I activated the on-line warranty card yesterday evening. Warranty runs out in 3 years and 11 months ;-) I guess by then I'll be able to get a GH4 for under 500 euro :)

I add two cycling pics made with the GH2, can't wait to see what the GH3 can do.

37979478396_e1d0391275_c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ZvPHHM]
37749824771_4e32e9e4a6_c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
[/url]

Matt Leppek

Mu-43 Regular
I feel you. I'm still shooting on a GH2 and AF-100 for video. B&H has a nice sale on the GH4 for $900 US, so I might jump into 4k. I plan to keep the AF100/GH2 combo for 1080p event videography. I love all of the features of the AF100, but the image quality is lackluster, I prefer the GH2 look over it.

I wonder if panasonic has a 4k AF200 or something in the works. I would LOVE built in ND filters and XLRs.

Keep us updated on how you're liking the GH3!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom