1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH2 Red / Pink Color Issue

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by zpierce, May 29, 2011.

1. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Has anyone noticed a problem with certain red and pink colors on their GH2? There's a band of color between pink and red that my GH2 consistently gets wrong, sometimes with really bad results. It's especially pronounced on flowers. Usually it turns certain shades of red to hot pink, but also my daughter's light pink fleece turns hot pink consistently. I have a couple color profiles for the GH2 that people shared, they help a bit, but don't fully address it. Have others encountered this and come up with any solutions? I hope I don't just have a bad camera. Here are a few examples..

These tulips were red and are quite pink in this photo:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachpierce/5773213953/" title="P1090915.jpg by zach.pierce, on Flickr">"1024" height="768" alt="P1090915.jpg"></a>

This red flower was more or less red, but this turned glowing and lost the detail of the petals:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachpierce/5773216261/" title="P1090956.jpg by zach.pierce, on Flickr">"1024" height="768" alt="P1090956.jpg"></a>

This flower was red, not pink:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachpierce/5773217093/" title="P1090988.jpg by zach.pierce, on Flickr">"1024" height="768" alt="P1090988.jpg"></a>

This is my daughter's fleece which is a light pink in actuality, not this dark pink:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachpierce/5773220635/" title="P1010845.jpg by zach.pierce, on Flickr">"732" height="1024" alt="P1010845.jpg"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Zach,

Have you tried to profile your own camera using passport or equal? I think this is your best first step. Also, you might see what happens if you shoot in sRGB rather than in RGB or vice versa. Obviously the color space setting ought to be the same in your software and printer.

Best regards,
    Tom

3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    You didn't specify if you were shooting RAW or JPEG?

4. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Shooting RAW processing in Lightroom.

5. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Hmmm. I have not noticed anything like this with my GH2.

6. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I have the same problem with my G2. It seems Panasonic cameras clip independent channels very easily which results in all kinds of weird color shifts. This is especially noticeable when shooting bright red or yellow objects such as flowers. In Lightroom, you have to reduce saturation of reds, oranges and pinks, and to add 20-25 points of highlight recovery. See if this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  7. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Canons such as the G10 and S90 share this issue, particularly with reds. The red channel blows out fairly easily, and recovery is difficult. When shooting red flowers with those cameras, I've made it a practice to use negative exposure compensation of up to one stop. It helps, but then if there are significant shadows in the image, noise may become a problem. Tradeoffs....

8. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I'm curious ... Zach, can you post one of the RAW files somewhere online?

9. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

Coming from a CANON world I do feel that there is something weird about the colours on my GH2, (specially the red tones). Just didnt had the time to dig on it yet.

10. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Zpierce,

Have you tried to correct this using the advanced manual WB adjustments in the GH2 and then shoot in RAW? I am most interested, as I do not seem to have the pronounced problem that you have, but I would like to know the reasonable solution should I get into trouble.

Thanks,
    Tom

Best regards,
    Tom

11. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Hmm, not sure where, shoot me a PM with your email and I can send one over?

12. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I have not, I'm not sure how I'd go about this. Also, usually I don't notice until I download the camera at home.

13. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Just a quick update, after playing around and listening to some of the suggestions here, I've been able to improve the situation in Lightroom. The red loss of detail issue does seem to be a red overexposure issue, by toning the exposure down in Lightroom, and using some recovery I've been able to improve the big red flower and retrieve much of its petal detail.

As for the pink tulips that should be red, after much playing around, I got much closer by going into the camera calibration section at the bottom of the develop module and increasing the Red Primary Hue slider to +25. This also seemed to help my daughter's fleece but I had to go to +50 there. It's not perfect, but they're much closer.

Here's my daughter's fleece, the top is close to it's real color. Interestingly, the JPG of the before doesn't look nearly as bad as lightroom's screen rendering, it looks much more glowing pink in lightroom.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachpierce/5779055012/" title="P1010845-2.jpg by zach.pierce, on Flickr">"732" height="1024" alt="P1010845-2.jpg"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachpierce/5773220635/" title="P1010845.jpg by zach.pierce, on Flickr">"732" height="1024" alt="P1010845.jpg"></a>