GH2 RAW white balance

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by nickthetasmaniac, Apr 27, 2011.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Hi everyone, I have a question for GH2 owners...

How do you deal with white balance in the shadows on the GH2? I've been having a lot of trouble getting the green-magenta caste balanced, to the point where it's almost impossible to push the shadows at all without getting weird colours going... Jpeg is fine, even with AWB, but I'm not willing to tolerate the loss of DR this presents...

I process with Aperture 3.

Cheers, Nick

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    For m43, you should always expose to the right, protecting against blown out highlights, then deepen the shadows in post.

Exposing to the left, and bringing the shadows up results in noise issues, which is what you are probably seeing.

3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I read somewhere there is a problem with how Aperture is processing the RAW files from the GH2. Try using the Adobe DNG converter instead, and then bring the DNG files into Aperture.

4. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011

I used an E-3 for about 30,000 shots before the GH2, so I'm fairly familiar with the 4/3rds sensor quirks :) I always expose to the right, but in some cases (specifically high-contrast landscape scenes) it's still necessary to lift the shadows. I'm not seeing a lot of noise, but rather colour inaccuracy...

Thanks Sprinke, I'll try Adobe...

5. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    Expose to the right with ยต4/3 ? Try that with the G1 and say goodbye to highlights ! Sorry but this makes no sense to me, but I think someone said that the GH2 is biased differently to the G1, is that correct ?

6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    "Expose to the right" does not mean blow the crap out of everything. Obviously, you have to watch the histogram, or at least the blinkies.

The point is, with these cameras, that you always want to be deepening shadows in post, not lifting them up because noise will become evident quickly.

7. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    I find that the camera will select a good exposure, even if I add on 1/3 it spells danger. I do however use - 1/3 or 2/3 if required.

8. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
  9. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    As I recall GH2 users did not have a problem when using JPEG, and this was stated at the start of this thread.......... I rest my case, now, a nice cup of tea is in order.

10. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Mick, this was not a problem with the GH2 nor the RAW format ... it was a problem with Aperture's processing of the GH2 RAW files. Other RAW-processing software did not have this issue. I'm not sure sure how your comment relates.

11. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    That's a huge relief to be honest. I'm trying very hard to love the GH2 and this has really been the only issue... I'm update and see where that gets me :)

@ ~tc~ This is kinda starting a new topic but yes, I don't expose to the right as such, but have either histogram or blinking highlights set on preview and then push the exposure as far as possible without blowing vital parts of the photo. This doesn't necessarily mean I'll be exposing to the right, but as you said, it avoids unnecessarily lifting shadows. The issue with this is that the GH2 is rather brutal in the transition to blown areas, which must be watched...

12. Raw vs jpeg. Here we are...again!

13. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
  14. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    lol I think I might just leave it :) I'm not really fazed either way