GH2 RAW files and Aperture

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by brnmatsumoto, Dec 30, 2010.

1. brnmatsumoto

brnmatsumoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I thought it might be worth reporting this.

When I load the Panasonic GH2 raw files into Aperture (ver 3.1.1) on a MacBook Pro, the images are highly green tinted. This has been reported by other users who use Aperture. So a warning about this fault.

Right now, I am converting files to Adobe's DNG format and then using Photoshop to process the images. These look fine so it appears to be an Apple phenomenon. No problems with JPEGs and it made me thankful that I save the files in both JPEG and RAW format. Other than this inconvenience, I am enjoying the camera. Its sensitivity is better than my G2, focusing is faster, and you have a wider selection of apertures if you do exposure bracketing for HDR. I never thought my G2 was too slow for focusing, but the increased speed of the GH2 is good and you become addicted to having a camera that hits focus with alacrity. I've used the camera with the 100-300 mm lens. A great field outfit that will replace my 80-400 mm Nikon with the D300.

Brian

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    sorry to hear you are having an Aperture problem with your files... hope you have reported it to Apple

I am sure they will fix it soon if there is a problem..

K

3. brnmatsumoto

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Illustrating the defect

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I am sure it is a temporary problem.

This illustrates the problem. The greenish image is from the RAW file and was translated by Aperture so it can be edited by Photoshop. The image was then saved as a JPEG. The adjacent image is from a JPEG derived directly from the GH2. This will provide a quick illustration on the severity of the problem.

Brian

Attached Files:

4. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    are you sure your are up to date on the latest software?... on the mac the raw conversion isn't part of Aperture... its part of the OS... there was a recent update to the RAW stuff... maybe check on that

K

5. brnmatsumoto

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Current on updates

Indeed, I am current on all my updates. I had observed this phenomenon for about a week and had reported it to Apple and had some discussions with other Aperture users. There is a series of messages from Aperture users to Apple on reporting this problem. I took a little extra time before reporting this to this forum to make sure it was a problem and not an operator error issue.

This email is a heads up for fellow Aperture users on this forum to be aware of the problem and to take some precautions when shooting with their camera. My first series of shots were done only in RAW and they could not be easily corrected to get rid of the green. So I used the DNG conversion for salvaging the images. As you noted, the problem is probably with the OS and this green cast in the RAW files has been reported by iLife users.

Brian

6. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I am sure that if its an Apple issue it will be solved and all the RAW's will eventually look right..

i understand your frustration
    k