1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH2 or GX1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Wolf, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    I'd like to get a panasonic micro 4/3 body (for some reason I prefer them above the olympus, though i do miss IS in the body)

Anyway, i'm doubting now
    Should I get the GH2 or GX1 ?

Which camera has the best sensor, best high iso performance and fastest autofocus ?

The price for a GX1 body is around 520 euro
    The price for a GH2 body is around 730 euro

But i do have a built viewfinder with the GH2

Is the seperate VF you can buy for the GX1 better then the GH2 built in vf ?

2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    The EVF for the GX1 is at best, equal to the GH2 I think. Same 1.4M dots, just detachable. It's probably a wash in terms of IQ and AF, but maybe an edge to the GX1 because it's slightly newer.

It's really going to boil down to your preference in handling and how much you use the EVF. Personally, I found I used it too much to bother with the GX1 despite how much I loved it's form factor. But I don't like the bigger GH2 grip... so I went w/ a G3, and eventually, the E-M5.

Also, any articulating/tilt screen I find is useful =)

3. bboylee

bboylee New to Mu-43

Jun 19, 2012
    GX1 manly, small :)

4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Image quality should be about the same. Gx1 might have better JPEG. Main difference is size. Do you prefer the more discreet smaller size of gx1 or the full featured controls and viewfinder with flip screen?

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The GX1 measures marginally better at high ISO than the GH2, while the GH2 is perhaps marginally better at low ISO. You'd have to pixel peep to care much about the differences either way, I think.

GX1: Small, relatively light. Pocketable with a pancake lens. No articulated screen, no EVF (unless you spend more money, and then you've got an extra piece to fiddle with), flash can be angled for bounce (but, really, most built-in flashes are too weak to use for bounce flash). Main advantages are size, cost (if you don't need an EVF), and what some consider to be a more quality "feel."

GH2: Rather large and bulky for m43, but still small compared to most DSLRs. Excellent controls and ergonomics (IMHO, still the best in m43.) Built in EVF, articulated LCD, multi-aspect sensor, the best video in mirrorless (and only a couple of DSLRs that might be better even now).

DSLR style vs. "rangefinder" style? Small size vs. much better controls and handling? EVF vs. non-EVF? How important is professional video quality? Answer those questions and you should have your decision.

Of course, you can complicate the decision by throwing the G3 in the mix. Basically the same innards as the GX1, sized between the GX1 and GH2, with an EVF and articulated screen. Or, if you don't need it right away, wait a couple of months and see what the G5 will offer.

6. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I've been torturing myself, looking at the GX1 (never splurged for the more expensive GF1 a few years back) as the price is pretty low these days.

I have to say that it's harder to get a good sense of the camera as A) it never seemed to be that popular--where are the owners?! Are they just quiet? B) It's not an OM-D. :p

So I would love to hear from someone who owns one or if anyone has any links or suggested search queries that I can try it would be appreciated. (my forum search skills weren't narrow enough evidently).

7. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    GH2 by a mile. Completely different cameras.

Why compare these two at all? If you like the GX1, there are other cameras you could be comparing it to, likewise the GH2. But in-terms of abilities, the GH2 is the better choice. Buying a separate VF is a joke, IMO. Cameras should come with things like that and the days of mirror-less without them are coming to an end.

8. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    The GX1 is gem IMO. Most of the time I have the viewfinder attached but have the option to take it off and make it pocketable with a pancake lens

9. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    In love with my GX1 also. It has everything I wanted in a camera. I bought the EVF after using it for about 2k snaps without it, and now I use it 98% of the time. I like the screen tap focus and rear controls quite a bit actually, but framing through a EVF is much easier. I wasn't upset that it came without it, but it should be a consideration in the cost.

I wouldn't call the GX1 pocketable, as many have though. With the 14mm attached it fits well into a jacket pocket, but will still weigh down one side of your coat (if not zipped up). I think of pocketable as something I can fit into my pants, and it certainly will not. The reason I bring this up is I had the idea before going to NYC that I would be able to put in my my pants pocket as it was quite warm there and I didn't ever wear a coat or similar. Luckily I live in the Pacific Northwest where we can practically wear light jackets 365 days a year.

For being under $2k into a system that has three fast primes, I'm very happy with the purchase. The lenses will be great ones for some time to come as newer and more advanced bodies come into the picture.

My other consideration was the EM-5, but it was significantly more expensive. I picked up a GX1 with the 14mm pancake for $560. I don't think I would be able to justify the quality difference being someone who is new to this.

10. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I think you are correct. It did not seem to sell in great numbers. At least not to the people who post on internet forums :) I think it's just a really hard sell because it was priced quite high in the beginning especially when compared to the very similar spec'ed G3 which was nearing the end of its sales cycle and was beginning to be discounted.
    I recently got one from a forumer here and I like it a lot. :thumbup:

11. Nameer

Nameer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2012
    UK
    I have both and use them equally as much. I tend to use the GX1 with the primes and smaller lenses, and when I want to travel light with just one lens in a coat pocket. I use the GH2 with the larger zooms as it balances better with the larger grip. Both are great, the GX1 does have premium feel to it and looks nicer IMHO than the GH2. As I use them for different applications I couldn't be without either. I have the EVF for the GX1 and find it to be the same as the GH2. For casual shooting, family events, and street go for the GX1, nice, small and looks great. For outdoor nature photography, landscape, birding, macro go for the GH2, great ergonomics, tilt screen and manual controls. Both have similar ISO performance and autofocus speed.

• Like Like x 2