1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH2 or G3?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by harry_s, Aug 20, 2011.

1. harry_s

harry_s Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I already have an E-PL2 which is small enough to go everywhere with me, but I'm looking for a 'SLR' shaped body which is going to handle a long lens (100-300) more comfortably. My requirements:

1. It doesn't have to be tiny, the E-PL2 fills that gap
    2. Quick access to ISO and focus modes
    3. Comfortably handles the 100-300
    4. Fast AF a bonus, although will be pre-focusing for motorsport anyway

The G3 and GH2 seem to be front runners, here in the UK the body-only price difference is about £160 in favour of the G3, so it's not a huge difference if the GH2 is more likely to fill the brief. I understand as far as AF and image quailty go they are essentially the same 'under the hood'.

Very few physical stores stock these anywhere near me, so my main concerns relating to the G3 are the size (a bit too small?) and just how quick the options found on the body of the GH2 are to actually access on the G3.

2. The grip on the GHs can be awkward if you have large hands, but they'd still be the best bodies (along with the G1 & 2) for a big lens like the 100-300.

3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Get the GH2 - for the use you've mentioned its the most suitable body available at the moment in Micro Four Thirds. Nothing at all against the G3, but the two main benefits are size - which you've said isn't an issue - and cost - which you've said isn't an issue.

Image quality and focussing speed will be pretty much identical, but the GH2 has a direct lever for focussing modes, and a more substantial grip for use with long teles.

4. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Nick's right......the G3 is a bit more awkward with the 100-300 than the GH2 and has much better access to controls.

R