GH2 on Safari (Luminous Landscape)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by John M Flores, Aug 9, 2011.

1. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    A GH2 and a Leica S2 walk into a bar...

Oh wait, this isn't a joke, one of the Luminous Landscape contributors Mark Dubovoy recently wrote about taking the GH2 on an African Safari.

On Safari

Included are samples taken with the 100-300
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Sorry, I had to do a quick google to find out what a Leica S2 was.

Interesting article, although the author appears to have some very strong opinions on various topics. The expose-to-the-right theory is obviously still a big thing over there. I like the way he mentions trying something different by taking some slightly broader environmental shots rather than just snapping away with the longest lens possible.

Thanks for posting.
  3. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I tried to follow that as well.. the histogram (at least in Olympus Camera's) seems to give better IQ when shifted over to the center, I haven't messed with the G2 yet.

If anything, I do the complete opposite of what he says.. histogram in the center, than move the slider the other way.

I guess it's 6 of one, a half dozen of the other.
  4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I think the thing that people have to understand with the 'expose to the right' approach is that it only makes sense if you're going to post-process every image - it will not make for attractive out-of-camera shots...

Anyway, as with most LL articles I really enjoyed it - very experienced and talented photographers talking about using cameras.

A self-declared medium format pro deciding to take a GH2 along with his $25K Leica definitely makes me feel a bit smug when I shoot alongside my friends D700/5D's :smile:
  5. ajm80031

ajm80031 Mu-43 Regular

In a nutshell, Expose To The Right (ETTR) applies to shots where you don't need the full dynamic range of the sensor AND you're shooting RAW AND you're going to post-process. The specifics can be found in several articles on the Luminous Landscape site, which explains the differences between how the human eye registers light vs. a sensor. I'll provide a quick and dirty description below. If you really want to understand it, read up on it on LL.

In a nutshell, if a camera sensor can cover 10 stops of brightness, there's a LOT more information recorded by the sensor at the higher stops than at the lower ones (read the LL articles to understand why). Therefore, to capture the most detail, you should use the highest exposure you can without clipping the highlights. Images shot this way can look horrible if they're not post-processed, appearing overexposed and flat.

However, taking a shot exposed in this manner and then adjusting it "back down" in your photo processing software, will restore the proper overall brightness level. So then what's the point? The resulting image will contain a lot more fine detail in the darker portions than if you'd shot it "normally exposed" in the first place.

Michael Reichman has suggested that makers of cameras that use the sensor itself as the light meter (e.g. micro 4/3rds cameras) should have the camera automatically ETTR and then set a compensation value that will shift the image back to "normal" once the data has been read off the sensor. That would allow all users to get the benefit of this technique without having to override the camera's auto-metering and applying adjustments manually in post-processing.
  6. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    You could probably add to that '...and you're going to print BIG'
  7. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    I enjoyed the article, but is it just me or were the photos posted with it fairly dull? They left me flat and seemed often poorly lit (shot in the shade, etc). It seemed like they suffered from the lack of tonality he was arguing against :) I'm certainly no expert, but my gut reaction was meh. I wouldn't have sent them on to someone as examples to say "hey look what our cameras can do on safari"
  8. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ

don't blame me, my iPhone sent this
  9. alemmo

alemmo New to Mu-43

Aug 20, 2011
    hmm am I the only one who is not that impressed with those images? I have seen much better with the 100-300mm. Maybe those aren't his best shots and he is keeping the rest under wraps.