1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH2 Odd Behaviors

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Boatman, Apr 18, 2011.

1. I'm seeing some odd behavior with my GH2. Is anyone else seeing these things?

- Auto focus goes to 'sleep' after period of inactivity but camera is not in sleep mode yet. Lens will not auto focus or even prsent the normal framing box unless you cycle the focus mode switch or reboot the camera.

- Aperature mode locks up and won't change the shutter speed according to available light (in lens off mode with manual lens). Camera has to be rebooted to correct.

- Light meteing seems to be 1 to 1.5 EV low in almost all images and requires that 1 to 1.5EV be added to get the histogram above the halfway mark. This is even worse with a polarizing filter on. Without polarizer the images look ok, even if the histogram was low. With the polarizer the images are very dark despite bringing the EV up one stop.

I don't know if this is 'normal' and I need to learn to live with it, if I should send the camera back, or if I should wait for a software release. Any comments or similar observations?

2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I'll check it out on my GH2.

3. StephenL

StephenL Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2010
    Touch wood, mine does not seem to display these "problems" (or "features").

4. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    I have seen a couple of times similar behaviour in my GF1 regarding underexposure due to not changing the shutter speed/aperture in line with the available light. I think it is the metering that goes buggy.

Solved by restarting the camera. I hope it is a software issue because I have purchased it SH so no warranty :(. If the Panny goes south, I will move to a e-PL2.

5. Recreate problem

If you want to try and recreate the problem, the most consistant one is the behavior in aperature priority mode.

- Put on a an old lense with adpater

- Set 'shoot without lens' to on

- Put camera in A mode

- Open your lens f-stop to maximum opening

- Stop down lens and then reopen

In my case, frequently the screen will just go white with over exposure. The shutter speed never changes to accomodate the increased / decreased light from the lens. Power cycle the camera and it will probably work for a while.

6. StephenL

StephenL Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2010
    Just been out for a walk with my GF1 and a 50mm Zuiko OM lens. No problems at any aperture.

7. Shoot w/o lens mode

I tried a few more shots at lunch. Put on the adapter with a 50mm lens, set it for aperature priority mode and shot away - no problems. However, today is dark. Sunday,when I ran into this for the first time, was very bright.

I wonder if grossly overexposing the imager flips the thing out?

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    None of that is normal. I would exchange it.

9. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I'm confused...
    When you enable "shoot w/o lens" your are disabling the communications between the body and the lens." Operation is now manual.

I would assume the your legacy lens has manual focus and F-Stop, right? How can the body give you aperture priority when you've disabled the body to lens communication, and most likely the lens has no way to communicate with the body? No telling how the camera will react when it can't "phone home" for a period of time. Or, am I misunderstanding something?

10. Aperature Priority

I think you are mistaken. Aperature priority means that the camera takes the lens setting for granted and then makes other adjustments accordingly. At least, that's the way I've always understood it. If I used sutter priority, it would be the opposite and the camera would always default to my pre-set shutter speed, but since, as you point out, the camera cannot communicate with the lens it would not be able to adjust the aperature. That is why you set aperature priority when using a non-communication lens.

The camera assumes an aperature based on the available light and sets the speed accordingly.

...or so I believe.:confused:

11. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Let's use the 14-140 lens that comes with the GH1 as an example. It has no aperture ring, so the thumb wheel on the body electronically controls the lens aperture of the lens.

If you read the info that comes with the various lens adapters you will find two scenarios.
    1. Some offer an adjustment that mechanically interface the lens "pin" as with Canon lens.

2. The other scenario is totally manual operation - since there is no means of communicating with the lens - hence the "shoot w/o lens option. That option is specifically for using lens adapters that can't communicate with the body.