1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GH2 not another BUG please - HELP

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by zuzullo, Dec 1, 2011.

1. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

ANSWER in green on page 4.

"This post has been updated to improve understanding of the issue :)"

Watch the video HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzSLDwGeZ74&feature=player_embedded#!

2011-12-02_1626.

Just bought my first manual aperture lens and I cant shoot in P, A or S mode.

Changed the setting: [Shoot w/o lens]=ON

and

In P mode. LV is not consistent with the picture taken.
    In A mode. It is possible to adjust the EV bar. Problem is, LV and Histogram, do not match the final photo.
    In S mode. LV does not work at all!!! Doesn't matter what Speed you set it for, it does not affect the LV. And EV is stuck at zero all the time. WHY?!?

My work is done based on the exposure compensation [EV] control.
    How do you do it?
    Cannot be calculating everything in M mode, all the time!? :confused:

HELP

2. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    with legacy lenses, you can only shoot in manual or aperature priority modes.

3. rpress

rpress Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2010
    In shutter priority mode, the camera will adjust the aperture to achive the shutter speed and exposure requested. With a manual aperture lens, the camera can't do this. Use aperture priority mode.

4. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

Yes thats correct but at least in A mode it should be possible to have full control right?
    The camera can still calculate the Shutter speed and the user can fine tune the EV! No?

5. rpress

rpress Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2010
    Yes, that's right, in aperture priority the camera will adjust the shutter, and you can fine tune the EV. That's how it works on my GF1 and G3. Sometimes the metering tends to underexpose (especially the G3) but it works pretty well. I haven't seen much discrepancy between live view and the saved image.

6. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Do you have Constant Preview=On?

7. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

Well, can it be a GH2 bug then? Because this is what I get:
    2011-12-01_2109.

8. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

Yes it is ON.
    It works fine on Native lens. But I cant get it to work on Manual aperture, ones! :(

9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I think constant preview probably relies on communication with the lens, which of course doesn't exist with manual lenses.

10. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I can't really tell from your 50-pixel tall example, but can you also post the post-exposure histogram? Taking a picture of a photo displayed on an LCD screen and then posting it to a forum so that I can view it on my own LCD monitor isn't going to give us much to go on. It looks not bad though, I can see almost blown-out areas on the right of your image, so I imagine that the exposure is okay. Try taking a photo of a more evenly and well lit scene and report back. I don't think it's a bug though, you probably just have an error occurring in the 6 inches behind the viewfinder.

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Live View is not meant to be consistent with the photo. It is designed to give you a clear and bright view of what is in the frame. I think it would be nice to have the option to get a WYSIWYG view, but it isn't designed that way.

12. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

Live View has been consistent in all my cameras. GH2 is specially accurate on it but it is my first interchangeable lens camera though. That is actually why I am posting this. Cant understand why isnt the camera able to calculate it in A mode.

There has to be way other then shooting in M mode.

13. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

No, the final histogram does not match the one showed on Live View. Check it out:
    2011-12-02_1626.

And here [LINK] you have the actual final photo from the GH2 sensor.
    Sorry I cannot go out take better photo because I live in the arctic - no natural light! Though, I thing this one has the elements needed for the test.

14. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

Maybe I have overseen something. Had a look again and cant find anything relevant for this. Can you point it out please?

15. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

But it works in M mode so that is not entirely true.:)

16. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    No, even in M mode the camera still communicates with the lens. To set the f-stop in manual mode you do it through the camera body. Even manual focus mode communicates with the body.

If you have an m4/3 lens on the camera, it's always in electronic contact with the cpu, no matter what mode you're in.

17. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    As that photo has been taken, you already have some blown highlights on the right side of your image, as I said already (I called it top right by mistake, whoops. Fixing it now.). Since that light on the right side is so much brighter than the one on the wall, your camera exposed the photo so that you would not lose highlight detail. Again, take a photo of a more evenly lit scene. Or, use spot metering instead of matrix metering, so that the camera exposes for the center of the image, instead of contemplating the whole scene before determining exposure.

We run into this issue very often in computer programming. You have to remember, a camera is a very literal device, as are computers. It is doing what you tell it to do, which is not necessarily the same thing as what you want it to do. You wanted the camera to make a nice exposure of the wall. But, you have matrix metering set on the camera, and you included a very bright light source in your image. So, the camera thought, "OK, I need good exposure for the complete scene, yet I have a mixture of very bright and very dark areas here. So, I better expose just enough so that the very bright part doesn't get blown out, even though it will make the wall dark and underexposed."

• Like Like x 1
  18. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

NO, I do not want the camera to make a nice exposure of the wall. I want it to give me what it shows on the Live View, or on the EV bar, or on the histogram. None of those are correct, so how would you know what the final photo is gonna look like?

Am I wrong or we cannot really use A-mode with manual lenses?
    Allow me to post the last illustration again: [LINK]

19. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Yes, but understand that a camera is a device, limited by currently technology and the laws of physics. You cannot have a super bright light, like the one on the right side, and a much much darker light, like the one shining on the wall, and hope to have both exposed correctly. You do not have an evenly lit scene, so you will not have an evenly lit photo. You need to understand the limits of your camera. "Photography" means "drawing with light." If you have a huge splotch of light in one part of your scene, and very little in the other part, that's what is going to happen.

20. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

hummm I thing we are on the same side here :) Correct me if I'm wrong:

-Yes the GH2 gives correct Live View in M-mode that is consistent with the photo taken. WYSIWYG! This happens with both native and manual lenses and this is GOOD. We like that!

-What we dont like is that GH2 is not able to calculate the right exposure using A-mode with a manual aperture m43 lenses.