1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH2 noise reduction

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by nickthetasmaniac, May 15, 2011.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Hi everyone, if you've been following my posts recently you're probably aware of the issues I've been having with GH2 raw files and Aperture 3.

Because of this I've started shooting jpegs again and I'm having some trouble...

In low ISO shots (160ISO) there is a noticeable amount of detail smearing when viewed at 100%, which looks very much like noise reduction gone wrong...

Soooo...

- Does the GH2 always apply NR to jpeg files?
    - Can it be fully turned off?

I've searched the menus and all I can find is Long Exposure NR, which is clearly not what I'm after... This is driving me mental - between detail loss in jpegs and Aperture-induced colour castes in RAW, the GH2 is basically an expensive paper weight at the moment.

Cheers, Nick

2. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011

RAW - totally off topic, note the colour caste I was referring to...

JPEG - note the 'smoothing' in the grass.

3. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    nick... I am using the GH2 with the PL45/F2.8 quite a bit these days photographing springtime offerings... in both RAW and jpeg.... using a mild form of long shutter noise reduction.. and I don't think I am having issues with mud... this is a 500% jpeg crop below that has been byte reduced considerably.

If that is the case then you must surely have a technical problem that I cannot even begin to figure out. I will watch how this thread develops with avid curiosity...

Attached Files:

4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Nick, did you not update your copy of Aperture, or try converting to DNG? That should be a solved problem.

5. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Yes I've got the latest Aperture update... I've read on quite a few blogs that the problem was partially, but not completely fixed.

How do you convert to DNG?

6. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

Download the latest version (it's free) from Adobes website and install the application.
    Select some RAW files to import into DNG converter. (Just export some to your Desktop from Aperture)
    Make a new folder to put your processed DNG files into and run the application
    Then you should be able to import the DNGs back into Aperture.

7. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Ok thanks, I'll give it a try.

What is DNG anyway? Do you end up with an essentially untouched raw file?

8. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    About DNG: Extend | Adobe Photoshop CS5
    The links to download the converter are on that page

Yes, the DNG file will contain all of the exact same RAW data as the file from your camera.

9. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    When you select a "film type" you can adjust noise reduction, contrast, sharpening and saturation.