GH2 new high bit rate - should I bother?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by sprinke, Dec 9, 2011.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I am not a filmmaker by any stretch of the imagination, but the reason I bought the GH2 was to take excellent photos and videos of my son.

Until now, I have mostly taken video using Motion JPEG - 720p setting, because it's easy for me to share the clips in that MOV format (they upload directly to Flickr, for example), and I like how the MOV files are numbered the same as the pictures. Also, when I first got the GH2, my computer was too old to edit/play the AVCHD movies.

But I'm kind of shortchanging the capabilities of the GH2 by not using AVCHD, and I have since gotten a new Macbook Pro. My version of iMovie seems to be able to import the AVCHD files without any problem, even the new high bitrate movies.

On one hand, I want to take and save videos in the highest resolution possible, for future generations ... ha ha. On the other hand, I rarely share the videos in their full size, and no one in our family even has a Blu-Ray player.

What do you think? Should I switch to 1080 recording? Should I use high bit rate setting? What would that get me anyway? Is it 1080i or 1080p? I'm confused!

2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I'm even more confused after comparing the GH2 manual with the new information sheet on the 1.1 firmware.

The Cinema Mode is 1920x1080 at 24 frames/sec (approx 24 Mbps)

The High Bit Rate mode is also 1920x1080 at 25 frames/sec (also approx 24 Mbps)

That does not seem like much of a change ... what is the purpose?

I think I was under the impression that the High Bit Rate was 1080p at 60 fps. I was wrong.

3. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    24 fps is closest to the speed of film, hence the cinema look.

25 fps is PAL standard for television over in Europe. Over here in North America our cameras are NTSC and shoot in 30 fps.

4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Yes, I tried looking at a High Bit Rate clip in Quicktime and it tells me that the clip is 29.97 fps at 23.33 Mbps. However, I'm confused by this part:

Format: H.264, 1920 x 1080 (1888 x 1062)