1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GH2 Misbehavior or Just Me?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Boatman, May 2, 2011.

1. My GH2 continues to present two odd behaviors. It does neither continuously but does both too frequently. I'm trying to figure out if the camera has an issue or if I'm doing something wrong.

The first problem is with auto focus in the 14-140 lens. About one in ten shots the lens does not auto focus. It just sits there in out of focus mode; the camera will take a picure this way even though focus priority is set to ON. I have noticed that I am frequently hitting one of the back panel buttons inadvertenly, though ISO and white balance are pretty obvious when the pop up in the viewfinder. I'm wondering if I am creating the problem by bumping something else, though I don't know what that could be that I wouldn't recognize it. The problem can be cleard by cycling the auto focus swith from AFS to MF and back.

The second problem is the light meter freezing in 'shoot without lens' mode. This happens quite frequently when I'm using a manual lens in aperature priority mode. This is manafested by the shutter speed staying fixed at the speed of the last shot. The problem is cleared by changing the shooting mode from A to P and back. This seems to happen most frequently after I've aimed the camera towards a bright light souce. Since I'm typically using a fast lens wide open in this mode, I'm wondering if there may be some kind of safety sensor in there that senses over exposure and locks something in the imager.

I have written twice to the company I purchased the camera from but so far they have not responded. The problems are not so bad that I would consider the camera broken, but they are a hassle and don't seem right to me.

Has anyone else observed similar behavior?

2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Not quite sure what "out of focus" mode is. :smile: However, it's my understanding that if you put the camera on "focus priority," the camera won't shoot if the image is not on focus (or is it "in focus").

Is there a chance that you are too close to the subject and therefore it won't focus properly?

No idea about the second issue. I'm sure someone who uses MF lenses who will step up soon!

Best of luck!

3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I haven't experienced these problems with my GH2.

4. Armanius: When the camera does this, I aim at a subject, for example a building a quarter mile away, and it is clearly out of focus. I press the shutter half way and nothing happens. No green boxes, no beep. Aim at something closer, no change. Push the shutter all the way down and I get an out of focus picture. Toggle the focus slector from AFS to MF and back and all is normal agin. Green boxes, beeps and clear focus.

5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Wow ... that's definitely a problem. Have you tried a different lens? Maybe it's a lens problem, and not the GH2.

What happens if you set the camera to AFC?

6. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Which company did you buy it from? Are you beyond the return period, assuming there was/is one?

7. I don't have another auto-focus lens, so I can't experiment with that. I purchased the camera from Provantage and have sent their tech suport two emails that have not been responded to. I believe they do have a 30 day return period that I am probably just over and then they may not have another camera, either.

8. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Boatman,

I am relatively new with my GH2. However, I have not experienced this problem with any lens including the 14 -140 mm. This sounds to me like a glitch in the two way communications that exists between the camera and the lens auto focus control. Is there any possibility that your lens mount is loose or there is dirt on one of the contacts between the camera and the lens? Is this happening under some "extreme" conditions, i.e. high humidity, high temperature, bright , extended sunlight, etc.?

Have you called or written to Panasonic? They do respond rather well and fairly quickly.

Best of luck,
    Tom

9. No, the lens is fine. I have contacted Panasonic and spoken with a first tier tech who could not find a similar event in their data base. I've been escalated but not heard back yet. I suspect it is a software bug of some kind and it may be related to the shutter speed freeze up that I'm also getting. It's not critical, just annoying. BTW, I didn't notice this right away. it happened for the first time about the third time I used the camera. I didn't notice the shoot with lens off / shutter freeze issue for a while either because I didn't have any adapters for about two weeks. But once I started using manual lenses the problem started right away and that problem is easily repeatable.

10. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    If there's a local camera shop that carries m4/3 stuff, go to the shop with your camera, and ask to try out lenses (under the pretext that you want to buy the lens of course). Try their 14-140 first and see if the same thing happens. Then try other lenses as well. At the very least, confirm that it's the camera and not the lens.

Other than that, it sounds like you may have to ship the camera and/or lens back to Panasonic. Bummer ... Sorry ...

11. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Boatman.

Thanks for the detail. I will watch mine. I get my first adapter tomorrow if the angels arrive on schedule. I have used my 14-140 mm on the camera more than three times though. If I become a victim, I will post immediately.

Best regards,
    Tom

12. DrDave

DrDave New to Mu-43

May 9, 2011
    I have the same issue with my 20mm, and it usually happens after using the cam for video in MF. I switch to IA to get some quick, post show P&S type snaps, and get a bunch of zero focus blur blobs.