1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH2: Menu Settings for Optimum Quality

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Empireme, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    EDIT: Snaps, I meant for Optimum VIDEO quality...

I updated my GH2 to the newest version 1.2 today and I wanted to learn what all those options meant... such as FSH, SH, etc... And I heard that frame rate is important but I don't know where to adjust that or what rate is optimum. Anyone have a link to these explanations?

2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I assume you mean that you updated to firmware version 1.1, which is the latest.

With an unhacked GH2, you will get the best possible quality by working in Movie Mode. Select the High Bit Rate setting. This will give you 1080p at either 30 fps (US models) or 25 fps (European models).

If you prefer a more cinematic look, use the Cinema setting. That will be 1080p at 24 fps.

You should manually select a shutter speed that is as close to double your frame rate. So if you are shooting 30 fps, you should lock in a shutter speed of 1/60. If you are shooting 24 or 25 fps, use 1/50.

3. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    Thank you for the numbers...

But a quick question. How does shutter speed effect the filming? I understand shutter speed in terms of allowing light in for a still picture, but it completely boggles my mind for movies... A little insight why doubling the shutter speed is recommended?

And is there a forum for video shootrers using micro four thirds that anyone is a member of? This is more of a still photography site...

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    this is one worth bookmarking

EOSHD.com | The DSLR video and digital filmmaking blog | Reviews | News | Technique

the e-book is pretty good... though maybe a bit pricey

the shutter speed thing is a bit of a mindf***

basically the deal is that in the days of film, movie cameras used a rotating shutter that exposed the film which was running through the camera at 24 frames per second.

the shutter was a semi circle.. so each frame was exposed for 1/48 of a second.

the 24 frames a second was chosen for a variety of reasons.. you can google those

the result is that for the last 70 years we have got used to the look of 24 fps..and the inherent blur of the slow shutter speed.. it makes movement look smoother to our brain

if you increase the shutter speed you get less blur and your brain stops seeing continuous motion and starts to see individual frames

sometimes this can be used for effect... the often quoted example is the opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan which have a jerky hyperactive look due to being shot at a higher shutter speed

hope this helps

cheers

K

• Like Like x 1
  5. hawaiigent

hawaiigent New to Mu-43

Jun 3, 2011
    Gerry with a G
    I have been getting a wealth of useful recommendations, logically ordered and explained in this new book , " The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH 2, the Unofficial Quintesential Guide", available on Amazon for about USD 19.00. I have only begun to explore the guide, but already am impressed by the comprehensive way he makes the material in the official manual really user friendly. Especially helpful on use of the variations and capabilities of movie mode (s) and how to select the custom functions that abound. Grab a copy if you can, a Best Buy as camera guides go.....acid free paper and lots of color photos of the menus....aloha, gerry

6. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I asked the same question when I was starting out.

https://www.mu-43.com/f84/please-explain-shutter-speed-video-12383/

You could try either the GH2 group on vimeo: Panasonic GH2 forum on Vimeo (doesn't get a lot of traffic) or Topics List - Personal View Talks. The latter is mostly about hacking the GH2 but there are a lot of filmmakers on there and they discuss all aspects of filmmaking including technique, gear, post-processing. A lot of it is over my head, frankly, but I've learned quite a bit from lurking there.

7. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    Thanks Sprinke. That link actually helped a lot. Wow, video is whole new world to me right now. And lighting is always the issue!

And Hawaiigent, I actually ordered that same book last night on Amazon. It should be here by Tuesday...