1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH2 Massive Overexposure

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by JDS, Dec 5, 2015.

1. JDS

JDS Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    Hello everyone,

I received a GH2 as a bonus along with another camera I purchased, but I've been unable to use it for photography. When I shoot in bright lighting conditions, I get extreme overexposure, sometimes almost a white image. When I shoot video with the same settings, I get perfectly exposed images. I've tried different lenses, firmware updates, hacked firmware (currently using Sanity 5.1), auto & locked ISO, multiple shooting modes (M, S, A, P & iA), reset all camera settings multiple times. I've attached images shot back to back with video and still shot with the same settings, any thoughts?

video.JPG

P1030035.JPG

2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Without any EXIF info, it's impossible to tell what's going on.

3. JDS

JDS Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    How do I grab exif data from a screen capture on a video? Actually the bottom image is a jpeg straight from the camera, how do I attach exif data from it? Do I copy it from Lightroom or something?

Thanks in advance for the help.

4. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I'm not concerned about the EXIF data from the video screen grab, but I am for the still image.

When you export from LR, are you stripping all of the EXIF info (this will be an option on the export screen). Also, what hosting service are you using? Can you give us a link to the image on the hosting site?

5. JDS

JDS Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    I uploaded it directly from the SD card, here's a screen capture of the metadata from LR:

metadata.JPG

6. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Do you have exposure compensation set? Having a +2 / +3 exposure comp would do this....

Check exposure comp and reset to +/-0 if it's not there already.

7. JDS

JDS Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    No, I've tried to get a decent photo by -2 or so exposure compensation but I'm just guessing on exposure at that point. The exposure in dark conditions is usually pretty accurate, maybe slightly overexposed. The problem is that the image looks great in the EVF before shooting, and then in the image preview after shooting I see an overblown image.

8. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    What were the conditions like when the photo was shot? It appears (from the video image), that it was overcast. The exif data would seem to confirm this, as you're shooting at ISO 160 with a SS of 1/160 @ f/3.5.

I wonder if it has something to do with the hacked FW. It seems odd that it would be fine for a video grab, but not stills.

9. JDS

JDS Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    It was overcast, but the better the light, the worse the problem. It had this problem with 1.0 firmware, 1.1, and now with the hacked firmware. I think it was actually better with a different hack (which caused other problems), but it may have just been the lighting situation. I've also reset the camera a couple times, to make sure there isn't some obscure setting that might be doing it.

10. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The physical shutter may be lagging/sticking open. With a slow exposure time of half a second (500 ms) a 5ms delay is not really noticeable, with a 1/160th shutter speed a 5ms delay almost doubles the exposure.

This wouldn't change anything for video as it uses an electronic shutter which is why that was correctly exposed.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JDS

JDS Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    Really interesting thought- I just shot an image indoors at 1/1000 & 1/60 and they had the same exposure, so it looks like that isn't it. It seems somehow that the light meter is over-reacting to bright light, but only in stills.

12. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    That is truly bizarre, can't say I've ever come across an issue like that before sadly.

13. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    That's really weird, it sounds like some sort of exposure compensation however I'm not really familiar with this model so I can't point towards a cause.

14. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    What metering mode are you using? If it's pinpoint and you are metering off the dark area the light areas can blown out.

Since the GH2 is so customizable, it would be a good idea to reset it to factory settings. In the menu navigate to the "wrench" icon. "Reset" is the next to the last item of that sub-menu.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  15. JDS

JDS Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    Good suggestion- I've tried it a couple times, as well as several firmware updates (1.0 to 1.1, to a hack, back to 1.1 and now Sanity 5.1). Sometimes the entire image is so blown out you can barely tell what it is that I've shot, so it's a pretty extreme problem (but only in bright light)

16. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Take another camera, or even a smartphone light meter app, point it to something easy to meter (do not include the sky as a small difference can make a big...difference) and notice the exposure parameters.
    Take the same shot in M mode with the GH2 with those parameters.

Or the opposite, you got the idea.

17. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Still photographs use the mechanical shutter, but video doesn't. If there is something wrong with the shutter, you will get the results you are describing. Try removing the lens and manually change shutter speeds (use 1/250 sec or lower shutter speeds) and see if the shutter speed is changing. It will be noticeable switching between something 1/4 and 1/60 sec.

18. JDS

JDS Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    Okay, that is really interesting given the fact that exposure on the GH2 is the same at high and low shutter speeds: top picture is from an Olympus O-MD E-M10, bottom from my GH2. Both shot with the same lens, both at 1/250, f3.5, ISO 200:

PC067146.JPG

P1030092.JPG

19. JDS

JDS Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    Looks like the problem is solved: I just shot the same scene at 1/40 & f9.0, and the overexposure was not as bad. I shot a couple quick frames inside at 1/5 & 1/6, and exposure is pretty much spot on. So, there must be a delay in the shutter as you guys suggested. Thanks everyone! Now, do I get it repaired, or just use this as a camcorder...

20. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The shutter is broken. If you want to take still pictures and not have to control exposure using only f stop and ISO by trial and error, you have to get it fixed.