GH2 just arrived, UK version?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by bullmrkt, Mar 23, 2011.

1. bullmrkt

bullmrkt Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2011
    The GH2 14-140mm kit I ordered on Monday from Amazon (thanks to Amin's alert) just arrived from TheCameraBox, but its a UK version, not US. Should I send it back? My concern is for the warranty.

UPDATE: Well here is their very timely response. "HI! We are really sorry for the trouble this may have caused you. Please be advised that this item is currently unavailable in the US. This camera is the same as the US one. If you have any problems with it this year you can always return it to us. ( The warranty is on us! ) If you would like to return this item for a refund we will go about assisting you with that. Please advise us how you would like to proceed.
    Thank you and waiting to hear from you,
    Lea"

Oh and I wondered why there was a US style mini IEC cable in the box along with the camera, now I know! (For the charger.)

2. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    You just might have opened Pandora's box of UK vs US jokes :))

Here's one (not very juicy but again I am from Romania):

Send the camera back because the WB is calibrated only for rain and fog and all the controls will function in reverse order :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I would suppose the difference is that the battery charger has a UK plug. Which would be a problem I expect.

• Like Like x 1
  4. elpanda

elpanda Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    HK
    Jacques
    Check if the warranty is worldwide on it, my old FX500 and ZS7 only came with a French warranty which rendered it useless when I moved to Canada.

• Like Like x 1
  5. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    How was the weather in Romania today? 19 celsius and clear blue skies here in the UK.

6. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    I used to visit the UK twice a month for a year in 2008 and was surprised of how nice the weather was - actually I have read somewhere that the British wines (usually lowly regarded in the past) are getting better and better due to warmer climate.

But there is that cliche of bad brit weather so i used it

7. bullmrkt

bullmrkt Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2011
    I'm leaning towards keeping it at this point...considering how hard 14-140 kits are to come by. I also have a USA body that came at the same time from a ebay seller if anyone is interested. It's brand new.

8. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Send it back

I'm aware of a similar situation that involved a Canadian version. The UK version's warranty is not recognized in the US. I'd send it back.

9. cucco

cucco Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    If I'm not mistaken, the UK version is PAL, right? If so, the length of the video is restricted, whereas the US version is NTSC and video unlimited.
    Maybe I'm wrong....I don't really keep track of PAL/NTSC countries.

• Like Like x 2
  10. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    Please do not moan about the UK, consider the facts first.

We are known as rip off Britain.
    I have been in pain for 6 months, NHS has a private contractor who is worse than useless, still waiting for appointment.
    We have greedy thieving MP's.
    The poor pay for the mistakes of the rich.
    We will soon be a poor banana republic.
    We have Ant & Dec.
    Thinking about it, go ahead and moan !!!

11. bullmrkt

bullmrkt Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2011
    Yeah... It says PAL on the box. Argh. I wasn't sure what the implications of that were... :mad:

Can anyone confirm the PAL video length limit? Any other limitations or incompatibilities?

12. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Love it!

Or as Bill Nighy said "Ant or Dec" I still don't know which is which. (As if it mattered!!)

• Like Like x 1
  13. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I can't confirm it, but I've read about it from different sources, something to do with their laws? I think its restricted to 30 minutes.

Edit: Here's an article on the GH1 and video recording limit. Should be similar to the GH2's: http://philipbloom.net/2009/06/03/the-lumix-30-minutes-eu-recording-issue/

Also looks like PAL and NTSC have different framerates with NTSC being a bit higher at 30/60 and PAL at 25/50. Not sure if there are any compatibility issues with playback (there use to be a few years back) but everything is digital now so...

14. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Not a "law" - just VAT

Video recording duration is generally limited on Euro versions because the tax on camcorders is ~15% higher than on still cameras. I believe the limit is 29 minutes before it stops.

Send it back, it's not worth the sacrifices.

• Like Like x 1
  15. bullmrkt

bullmrkt Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2011