1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH2 in Boracay, Philippines

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by mqavila, Feb 28, 2011.

1. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

I finally got my hands on my long-awaited GH2 last week! Was lucky enough to be able to order it from Adorama.com and my cousin brought it home to Manila last week. Lucky enough, my family had a planned trip to Boracay that weekend. For your info, Boracay is touted as one of the best beaches in the Philippines. In any event, i just used the "idiot-proof" fully automatic mode of the GH2 (iA mode), especially since I came from a P&S and hadn't had a chance to read the thick manual.

Anyhow, here are some pictures that I took on my trip to and in Boracay, using the GH2 with the 14-42mm kit lens:

In the plane, en route to Iloilo City:

P1000147.

Taken at a roadside restaurant on our roadtrip from Iloilo City to Caticlan, Aklan (where we were to take a short boat ride to the beach paradise):

P1000162.

P1000170.

P1000172.

P1000169.

Taken at Caticlan Port while waiting for our turn to take a short "banca" ride to Boracay:

P1000176.

Astoria Boracay - the hotel/resort during our stay in Boracay:

P1000194.

P1000256.

P1000501.

P1000632.

The hotel frontage taken at night - handheld, no flash:

P1000243.

Random shots taken in Boracay:

P1000224.

P1000225.

P1000336.

P1000516.

P1000419.

P1000489.

And, what made the trip all worthwhile - the glow of my daughter's face:

P1000583.

TFL! :)

• Like Like x 4
  2. Plimsol

Plimsol Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2010
    Belgium, Antwerp
    nice pictures, like your country and hope to visit it in future.

Grtz from cold and rainy Belgium.

3. PENpal

PENpal Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    I miss Boracay. Salamat!

4. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nice picture story you got here mate. I enjoy the ones of the boats. I've never seen those pontoon arms in such profusion before.

5. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

Thanks guys. Boracay is an extremely popular vacation destination here in the Philippines. And my children absolutely love it. :)

Iconindustries: yup, this type of boat is quite common in the more "picturesque" beaches here. It adds to the total ambiance. :)

6. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

An interesting set. I too would like to visit some day.

I assume your GH2 is not set for PAL video being a US model (NTSC). I got caught that way with my GH1 but was able to 'hack' it to add PAL. Some software (like Sony Vegas) will also convert NTSC<>PAL.

7. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

Yup, mine is the US model. Is there any real difference between the NTSC and PAL models?

8. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I made 2 assumptions:- (1) you reside in the Phillipines; and (2) The Phillipines uses PAL for TV and video like most of Asia and Australia.

If both are correct your NTSC videos will not show on a PAL TV. If you live in the US there is no problem.

9. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

In that case, I really won't have any problems. The Philippines uses the NTSC format. Thanks for the concern though!

10. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Enjoy. You now have one of the best cameras available.

11. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    I hear they have some fantastic diving spots in Boracay. I would like to do some diving out there some day.

12. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    Congrats on the new camera and the fun vacation. Loved the happy look on your daughter's face!

13. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

I fully agree. This, in my personal opinion, is really one of the best cameras available in the market today. AND, it's very compact compared to all the DSLRs I saw being lugged around by others around the beach. :)

Jalex: yup, the happiness in my children's faces was priceless!

14. atom

atom Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I was in Boracay for Christmas last year. Watch out for those buffets! I spent 3 days in my hotel sick as a dog.

15. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

Really? Luckily, I haven't encountered any bad food while there. Admittedly, there are tons of restaurants there that offer buffet lunches & dinners. But, I usually just eat at the more established restos there.

Anyhow, a couple more pics from our trip:

P1000657.

P1000609.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    You're off to a fine start! Keep shooting...

• Like Like x 1
  17. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

Thank you for the kind words!

18. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    nice shots kaibigan

19. oldskoolboarder

oldskoolboarder Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    Still one of my favorite beaches. First went in 1999 when it was still kind of empty. More crowded in 2009 but still great when we were at the 2 Season, IIRC.

Nice pix.

20. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

Thanks! Are you Pinoy too?