GH2 Hot Shoe flash reccomendations

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by MrBeens, Sep 22, 2011.

1. MrBeens

MrBeens Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 19, 2011
    Hi

I was wondering if the collective consciousness could give me some good advice on a good all round flash for my camera - ideally one that can also be used off of the camera as well.

I mainly use the camera for nature, candid portraits and pictures of wargaming tables. I am very much at the starting end of learning this fun hobby :)

Lenses I have are - 14-42 kit, Pana 20mm 1.7, PL45 macro, Pana 45-200, and a few legacy FD lenses.

Thanks in advance

Mike

2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I have been using a Metz 50 AF-1 with my GH2 and have been pleased with the results. This is my first flash, so I'm still learning. The Metz can act as an optical slave although in my experiments it needs to be dialed down to 1/4 power so it can flash with both of the GH2's preflash and flash (there is no way to turn off the preflash on the GH2).

The Metz is a bit on the expensive end but for what it offers it's cheaper than the Oly and Pany flashes. It's really well made; solidly built, and I haven't had any problems with recharge delay.

3. MrBeens

MrBeens Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 19, 2011
    Thanks for the reply.
    Sorry for being a total n00b, but what do you mean by optical slave? :confused:

4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Optical slave mode: the flash sees another flash pop, and it pops near-instantaneously.

So, for example, you put your external flash on a stand off to the side, and use your camera's pop-up flash to trigger it. No wireless transmitters/transceivers needed.