GH2 High Bit Rate Video

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Boatman, Aug 20, 2014.

1. I don't do a lot of video with my GH2 and what video I do is usually MJPEG-HD. I have an event coming up and I've been asked to shoot in 1080p.

I read through a number of articles on the GH2's video features and the best format available is High Bit Rate video, which is 1080p with interlaced encoding. Close enough. This feature is only available with the v1.1 software, which I have, but I cannot find this setting anywhere in the menus. The manual does not help as it only covers the v1.0 features.

Can anyone tell me how to turn the HBR video on?
  2. poopstick

poopstick Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2013
    Burlington Ontario
    As far as I know, you need to flash(hack) it with some custom firmware to get the higher bit rates.
  3. redcapestudio

redcapestudio Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 1, 2011
    Los Angeles
    The high bit rate option should be available in the movie settings menu when the movie icon is selected on the PASM dial. This is a standard option and does not require a hack. There are other higher bit rate options that you can install using hacked firmware.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. oto02

oto02 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Melbourne, VICTORIA, AU
    Hi Boatman,
    Not sure how familiar with firmware you are, but if you are interested in having a completely new camera get one of the newest patch from Driftwood or Vitaly and you'll be amazed by what you are having and how capable your camera can be.
    I updated my both GH2's and I couldn't be happier - they get very close to the GH4 quality in terms of 1080 - 24p.
    Or put it this way, you'll have alike Arri Alexa or Red Epic camera in such a small and beautiful package (with a good glass on it)
    Good luck with your decision.
  5. Figured it Out

I got a copy of the v1.1 update PDF instructions and figured out that you have to be in movie mode in order for the HBR feature to be selectable. (As noted by redcapestudio.) It's not the most intuitive piece of configuration I come across. That said, you can configure the camera so that in movie mode it shoots HBR with whatever settings have been configured for that and then in stills mode, using the secondary trigger, you can shoot in a different mode (HD-JPG in my case), without ever making any changes in the menus. This give you a quick way to have two levels of video ready to go at all times.

I don't know if hacking my camera is a worthwhile adventure. I've looked at Vitaly's web page and I'm sure I could do it. It's just that I don't do much video and it is rarely of any real significance. This will be the first time I've even used the HBR mode - I've been pretty happy with just HD-JPG. I know the quality would be better, but who would care?

Now, if only someone could tell me how to turn off all the icons in the viewfinder and still have the histogram up. Has anyone written a hack that will give you greater control over features like that?