1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH2 help

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Empireme, May 28, 2012.

1. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    I have my camera set "constant preview" to on... and so the lcd/viewfinder should display in the lcd the live image to the settings of my exposure... and it does but it's only accurate in dark areas.

When it's sunny and bright, the lcd/viewfinder displays the image much brighter than the actual picture... Any help on how to fix this? Do I have something enabled that I'm not aware of? This is really annoying since you can imagine that the lcd shows the image much brighter than I anticipate my picture to be... making it very difficult to take a good picture...:confused:

2. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    I had similar problems that drove me crazy. I had improperly configured settings in various modes using the "thumb dial" at back, top right corner. Another thought, can you use pinpoint metering to measure off the hot areas then, while holding the shutter half pressed move lens to the desired composition?

Good luck

3. SeveNx7

SeveNx7 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    SeveN
    Also make sure that the picture isn't set to bracket low. I had accidentally set mine to +2 with the thumb wheel since the mode I was in changed ev when pressed in. If you put it in full auto (I forget what it's called iA or something) does it still do it?

4. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    It's weird because the camera works as it's supposed to when there is low light.. the lcd will show the same exposure that the picture will be in...

But the actual picture is noticeably darker when it's bright and sunny outside... And since the sun's gone I can't tell if any changes I do now will resolve the issue...

SeveNx7, what do you mean you had the bracket set to low? What menu configuration is that?

I'm shooting manual, so perhaps you're talking about changing the EV...?

5. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    I'll try using pinpoint instead of multi metering when the sun comes back up... This is driving me NUTS!

6. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I found this a frequent issue such that I've just come to know and trust the metering and adjust as needed. My default is +1/3 and I turn highlights on. If it shoots too dark or too many highlights are blown I tweak and just shoot again. I don't think you are doing anything wrong, I think the camera is doing its best guess and it's off. Once you get a feel for how the camera is going to meter in different conditions, you can usually get it right on your first try. My 2c. If there's a technical solution, I'd love to hear it too!

7. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Spot metering won't likely help your cause too much. It's so dynamic, its hard to select a level in my experience.

8. SeveNx7

SeveNx7 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    SeveN
    That's what I meant. The ev. I corrected it at the end of the post. :)

9. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    I know,

I had the problem for several weeks. Before I isolated the cause, I created a custom mode starting from scratch so it does exactly what I want.

10. skao

skao New to Mu-43

May 25, 2012
    I noticed a similar effect on my Oly few weeks ago. Problem could be following: The camera itself constantly changes the aperture to put out an "appropriate" image as live-view. The aperture you set to take your shot is (as far as i know) just set as you press your shutter button halfway down. So the live-view image is only matching your final image (exposure-wise) when you press your shutter button halfway down. Olympus has a function you can put on a button called "aperture-preview"(?) which sets the aperture blades to the final value as long as you keep the button pressed - probably your GH2 has a something similar?