GH2 Handheld Rig

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by perpetualjon, Nov 1, 2013.

1. gh2-handheld-rig2-01.

gh2-handheld-rig2-02.

My current handheld rig. This has probably taken me a good part of this year to get to this point. I have been trying to mate a ring light with the GH2 along with a 7" field monitor --not an easy task. This current frame is just 4.5" deep so, when I hold it against my torso, it fits in very tight spaces. I intend on using either the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 or my Olympus 45mm f1.8 (much better autofocus). It gets heavy in the hands after a few minuets but not too bad considering I carry enough battery power to go for over an hour with the ring light at full power (almost never necessary).

My next rig is definitely going to be an over-the-shoulder "bulldog-style" frame. I've got an ENG lens I want to start using while employing a follow-focus mechanism for both the focus AND zoom controls. Anyways, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this assembly!

Attached Files:

2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Interesting! Not the way I would do it but if it works for you that is what matters. So if the monitor is in front of your face then the lens is centered just to the left of your belly button!

3. Actually both the camera and the monitor are slightly off-center.

4. monowav

monowav Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Jake
    Looks great. I will soon be setting up something similar to this.

5. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Looks good. What are you usually shooting? I find the R-300 pretty harsh on talent's eyes, even at lower settings - I haven't tried the milk diffuser, haven't been able to get my hands on one as yet.

6. sigamy

sigamy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    What top handle do you have?