GH2 Hack Settings

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by jpcairns, Aug 10, 2012.

1. jpcairns

jpcairns Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Hi all, just getting into videography a bit and grabbed a GH2 body. Right away I'm figuring out this hacking business - so far it seems pretty straight forward. The one question I had is it seems so many patches out there intend to excel for certain types of filming.

My question: is there a best patch to just improve bit rates while remaining stable? Is it not just acceptable to set the 1080 H rates to 42mb/s, similarly for 720p?

Any help would be incredibly appreciated - I'm trying to do this on my own but there aren't really any forums that assist users in laymen terms.

2. Pbarrow

Pbarrow New to Mu-43

May 26, 2012
    There are a couple of specific files for stable settings. They are appropriately named "No Adverse Effects" and range from 32 to 44Mbit. The nice thing it is so easy to experiment. If you don't like one just download another! I have really enjoyed getting into video, hope you like your GH2.
  3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
  4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The easy thing to do is turn up the video bitrates and leave it at that. The trouble is that it tends to be a relatively inefficient way of boosting the quality, because higher bitrates create room for a lot of other changes and tweaking. That's why you get the patches that are meant for certain types of filming, especially in the ultra high bitrate patches.

That said, there are a few good "starter" patches that are stable on slower cards, don't hurt record times too badly, and are good all rounders. Cake v2.3 and Sanity 5 are top candidates, as is LPowell's Reliable In-Camera Playback.
    I was fairly happy with Cake until I went to high end settings for more serious work.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Van

Van Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2011
  6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I've seen FlowMotion fail on 30 MB/s Sandisk Extreme cards, especially ones that haven't been formatted recently.
  7. Van

Van Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2011
    Huh, never had any problems. Though I do format my cards before every shoot and after every download...
  8. powderbanks

powderbanks Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2012
    north carolina
    i'm using driftwood's GOPSTOPPA patch for the avchd modes (1080p/24fps intra @ 176mb/sec and 720p/60fps @ 128mb/sec) and the eoshd 2x anamorphic patch for the mjpeg mode. i have the 45mb/sec 64gb cards, and i get about one hour of footage (~1gb per min). i've had random card write errors (recording stopped) because of speed, but only in 720p/60fps mode with a lot of detail and motion. it's probably a bit excessive..but i like the footage i get with it.

as others have said, look for 'stable' patches, and ones that don't clearly state they need faster cards. no matter what patch i load, there are some things i always make sure are 'ticked/unticked'in ptools. these are all found if you double click on the 'patches for end users'

interface>all interface languages *unchecked*
    movie related restrictions>30min removal *checked*
    ...>maximum iso limit removal *checked*
    ...>pal <-> ntsc menu *unchecked* (unless you need/want this)

now the rest, 'mjpeg movie mode,' 'avchd movie mode,' and 'audio' i really wouldn't mess with unless you really read up. let whatever patch you load change the settings. you'll know if it has if after you go from loading your base firmware, to loading a 'set' (the letters at the bottom) when the check boxes go from empty to checked for the modified portions. for example, you'll see under avchd compression that the video bitrate, audo quantizer, etc all have checked boxes.

you can change the bps of the audio, though i think it makes the recorded files unplayable on the camera. i have an external audio recorder so if audio is important, i use that. there are a few other tweaks to the audio/mics that you can do, but i leave em alone