1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH2 going for a drive...

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by roverT, May 29, 2012.

1. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I went out to test my camera in the car with the stock 14-42 lens at full wide using 1/60th of a second. I think I am doing this right but if anyone has any extra advice on video that would be great! I can't remember which patch I have installed on my camera...I just know I recorded in HBR mode and the bitrate is 33Mbps according to quicktime when I playback the MTS file.

<iframe width="780" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dtOcsvztyg4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010

That looks like Chukanut Drive headed south from Bellingham to Highway 20. I live right off Chukanut in Fairhaven. That's a beautiful drive. Too bad folks can't see what you see out the passenger window on that little sprint.

3. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    You're right! Geee how did you know???? HAHA. Yes the view is fantastic. It was a great 15 minutes of the day!

4. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Try it with a polarizer to kill the reflections from the glass. Over 7mins is a bit long, I didn't watch it thru, 2-3 min's would be about right. Changing angles would help.

5. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I wasn't meaning to make any award winning video...just playing around to see what the quality looks like in shadows and highlights with a set aperture and 1/60th shutter. One thing I do notice is that video taken with those settings makes motion look much slower than it is! Would a slow shutter or higher shutter help dramatize the speed?

6. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Is that your phone on the dashboard? What is it displaying?

7. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Yeah just an iPhone displaying MPH. When you see it, the trees whizzing pass look so much slower!

8. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    It looks faster if you go wider, mounting the camera further up front would help, the blur in the foliage helps to sell speed, and the scene in front of the car won't be blurry but the edges will be. You don't want to go any slower than 1/50 for 24p.

9. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Understood! :) So if you say had the camera mounted liteally in the front nose of the bumper. The sides would be blurred from motion as well as the ground in front which would really "sell" speed and make it look fast.

So if I ran this same video at say 1/120th at 30fps the speed would have looked even slower because everything would be much clearer?

10. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Yup. We perceive blur as motion, but it only takes a little blur to sell it.

If you want to mount it on a bumper, I would suggest a GoPro, tough as nails and great for this kind of stuff.