1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Gh2 Focus help

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by 33%_Gray, Dec 23, 2011.

1. 33%_Gray

33%_Gray New to Mu-43

Dec 23, 2011
    Oakland
    First off I would like to say thanks for all the great info on this forum. I got my Gh2 few months ago and I am really happy with the results. I shoot with a 5d at work so I very used to the Canon way of doing things. My biggest issue and only issue is autofocus on the Gh2. I come from the school of focus and recompose. But on my gh2 when I focus and recompose it loses its focus point and resets the focus to a new point. Overall I find it really frustrating and has made me doubt the gh2. Is there any setting I am missing that can help me from not losing my focus point after I get the green light? Also I shoot primarily with the 20mm pancake.

Thanks again!

2. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    I've only had my GH2 for a week or two and haven't had much hands-on time with it to know the intricacies of the autofocus settings so I can't tell you how you might fix the issue but I can tell you that my GH2 has no issues with focus-recompose. I primarily have been using single-area AF and AF-S. Half press of the shutter button locks focus (and exposure, I believe), and then I can recompose without changing focus.

What are your focus settings?

3. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Don't have the camera at hand now, but from the manual: you can customize the AF/AE lock button to simultaneously lock AF and AE in the custom menu and you can also disable AF/AE lock for half-pressing the shutter button. That way you can prefocus, press the AF/AE button to lock it and recompose at will before taking the picture.

4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Welcome to the forum Gray. Looks like Steve and Addielman may have already answered your question. Look forward to seeing your photos. Merry Christmas!

5. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Do you have the camera set on AFC (Autofocus continuous)? Change to AFS instead. What lens are you using? Are you using iA mode? That is automatically sent to AFC.

6. 33%_Gray

33%_Gray New to Mu-43

Dec 23, 2011
    Oakland
    Thank you everyone for your response. I tried everything and realized that my shutter button is at fault. For some reason it loses contact on the half press thus not letting me lock focus. My gh2 is getting sent back to Panasonic tomorrow. Lets hope everything comes out ok.

Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
  7. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    Good luck with Panasonic support :(. I sent my point and shoot back for warranty work and it took the 16 days (!!!) just in their facility to repair + shipping each way. I was NOT impressed!

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Half-press of the shutter is a precarious position for any camera. Pro-grade cameras do a little better but even then you always run the risk of the camera re-focusing before the shutter is released.

I mean, your camera probably was faulty and needed to be sent back, but when you get it back I would highly suggest you consider using back-button focus instead of tying your AF in with the shutter release. It only makes sense, and it also allows you individual control of your exposure point (for AEL) as well as focus point (for AFL).

9. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    16 days is nothing. I had an Olympus lens replaced. That took 6 weeks. If my 7k Leica M9 goes down I can expect to be with out it for 3 months.

And to 33% (if I can be so bold as to use just your first name -:)), I also came from 5Ds and 5D2s and when it works the GH2 AF positively stomps on the Canon AF, especially away from the centre point. The touch AF is fantastic.

Gordon

• Like Like x 2