GH2 file numbering video duplicating-please help

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by elleyy, Jul 5, 2011.

1. elleyy

elleyy New to Mu-43

Jul 5, 2011
    I just found out that my GH2 has been duplicating video files since day one.
    I format my sd card every time once full.

the photo numbring seems fine.

2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    If you are using AVCHD format, there is nothing you can do. If you format the card, it will always go back to 00000.mts.

What I do, is after I import to my computer, I batch rename the files to include the modification date. That way, the video filenames are always unique on my computer.

I know it sucks, but after researching this, I could not find any better way.

3. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I end up copying into separate folders on my HD.

4. elleyy

elleyy New to Mu-43

Jul 5, 2011
    man, what a shocker! If I use the delete all function, would it go back to 00000.mts?

i wish there's a firm ware fix. This is just terrible. thanks

5. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Delete all will also reset the numbering. The only way to maintain it in-camera is to keep the last video on the card.

BTW, this is not limited to the GH2. I believe that it's a common failing among all AVCHD-enabled cameras. The issue is that the AVCHD directory (all that other junk you see there) is actually a mini-database that is storing clip information. That database must go hand-in-hand with the MTS files themselves. Many "Pro" video applications use that database information when importing/logging video clips.

This gives a little information about Final Cut Pro.
    Final Cut Pro: Tips for archiving memory card-based media

6. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Not a bug - part of the "standard"

This is not Panasonic's decision - this was decided by the consortium that created AVCHD. Why? Who knows.