GH2 EVF/LCD + bright sunlight

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by sprinke, May 26, 2011.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I live in sunny Southern California :biggrin: and it's, well, pretty bright and sunny a lot of the time.

I love my GH2, but I've found the LCD screen to be practically useless outside here, most days. :frown: So I switched to using the EVF, which is a new skill for me, but hey, learn something new all the time.

But even with the EVF, when the sun is high, it's still difficult to see. What do you do in those cases? Wear a hat with a large brim?

And still, there are cases when I want to use the LCD for low angle shots and whatnot. Is there anything I can do to improve its visibility? Other than increase the brightness. Mainly I seem to have problems with smudges on the screen where I've touched it with my fingers (or nose, while using EVF). Do other GH2 owners have this problem? Would getting one of those anti-glare screen protectors help?

I'm just puzzled by this whole thing, because my last Lumix camera, a P&S (FZ35), had a brilliant LCD and I used it pretty much all the time (rarely used the EVF). Are the problems I'm having with the GH2 LCD a result of its being a touchscreen?

2. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Sprinke,

The EVF works fine in Washington State. Furthermore, it automatically stays clean up here.

Best regards,
    Tom

3. One thing that you can try (assuming that you shoot raw) is to change your jpeg (and therefore LCD) setting to a high contrast B&W. This might help to give you enough contrast to be able see what you are shooting on the LCD and EVF in bright light. Some people also use this method not due to the ambient light levels but as a compositional aid.

4. GF1 lcd, non- touchscreen suffers the same bright light issue. I asked and received an answer from pany if a firmware update would deal with this weakness. No go. The pocket camera (LX2) even with power lcd set to off is brighter than the GF1 with power lcd on, monitor set at brightest. Personal preference to shot using a viewfinder & into dials/buttons vs touchscreen.

Hat with brim helps for both imaging through lcd or evf. Maybe an aftermarket eye cup that fits the evf would help?

5. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I wonder if it's the composition of the LCD screen face itself. It looks different than my FZ35. It also seems much more susceptible to glare from smudges.

6. brunerww

brunerww  

Mar 5, 2011
    Hi sprinke, I live in Northern Cali -- not quite as sunny, but almost.

When it's bright outside, I flip the LCD out and put a $20 Hoodman HD-300 on it. No problem seeing it in sunlight.

Here's a pic:

GH2 in the park | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And yes, the touchscreen has a tendency to smudge. I don't use it very much for that reason. When it gets too many of my grubby fingerprints on it, I wipe it down with a lens cleaning cloth. I'm not as anal about it as I used to be, and it bothers me less over time.

Hope this is helpful.

Bill