GH2 Entering Lens Data

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Boatman, Apr 22, 2013.

1. I have several old primes that I like to use in low light situations. With an old prime lens, the camera is set for 'shoot without lens' and no lens information is recorded in the metadata. This creates some problems as I like to know which lens I have been using and what f-number so that I can evaluate the lens' performance in different situations.

The camera has a feature for entering text, but I have never used it. If anyone has used this feature, is it worth using or too bothersome to set up? Where does the information go in the metadata? Will the field auto-fill? It may be to awkward to record every f-number change, but perhaps it would be worthwhile to at least record the lens model and f range used.
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I don't have a GH2 so I can't help with the feature you are inquiring about, but there is a Lightroom plugin called LensTagger that allows you to edit the EXIF data to add information about the lens after the fact.

Obviously, you'd still have to keep track of which lens you were using at what time. One habit that I am trying to get into is prior to mounting a legacy lens to just snap a quick shot of it. Then when I import my pictures, I know what was shot with what (provided I remember to take the snapshot). You're still on your own as far as recording the aperture of each shot.
  3. That's a good idea about taking a photo of the lens. Not too practical in a dark room, but good otherwise. I had a go with the owner's manual tonight and the option I was looking at is buried in the travel features, which I never even turn on. Guess that is out as an option.