GH2 Deleting files

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by MrBeens, Apr 19, 2011.

1. MrBeens

MrBeens Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 19, 2011

When I connect my camera to my PC I can copy files over, but I can't seem to delete them.
    The only way I can find to delete pictures/movies is via the delete function on the camera.

Is there a way of deleting pictures via the USB (could do this on my old pos camera) as it's a lot easier than on the camera when selectively deleting stuff.
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I delete by reformating the card in the camera
  3. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Here's what I suggest

It is not recommended that you delete photos or format your SD card using your PC. I've done so, and corrupted the cards FAT table, where the camera would no longer access the card's full capacity. The damage was temporary (fixed by reformatting the card in the camera).

After a shoot I copy my photos to the the PC's hard drive. I delete any photos I'm 100% sure I don't want. Next, I "delete all" photos from the SD card (using the camera) and reformat the card (using the camera).

Once I accumulate ~ 4 GB of photos I burn them to a DVD and date the disk.

By chance, are you using a Mac?
    I've recently built a Hackintosh and discovered that Mac's create a "copy". I actually deleted some photos on an SD card using a Windows laptop (didn't have my camera). My TV's SD card viewer still saw the photos. Had be baffled until I found out about Mac's ghost copies!
    • Like Like x 2
  4. MrBeens

MrBeens Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 19, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I guess via the camera delete function is the way to go then.
  5. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Simple answer - No!
    The delete option is unavailable (in Win7 at least!)
    delete in camera or copy and delete (move) using card reader.
    I have a GF1 not GH2 but would imagine ALL pany m43 are same.
  6. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    But doesn't that reset the AVCHD movie file numbering back to 00000.MTS? That is a major PITA for me.
  7. Deleting Files

I use Picasa as my file manger and quickie editor. When I download from the chip using Picasa, Picasa gives me an option to "erase images after files are downloaded" or "leave files alone after downloading". Since I've not been shooting any critical files, I've been using the "erase images after files are downloaded". It works perfectly.

If Picasa can erase the card, I can't see any reason that you couldn't do the same thing by just going to the card's drive number, doing a select all and then delete. In fact, I'm pretty sure I have done that several times.

And maybe that's the answer. You didn't state if you are using USB to connect to the camera or just plugging the SDHC card into the computer. I plug the card into the computer. Perhaps the issue is with the USB connection. There are differences between SDHC and the older SC memory cards, which were limited to 2GB. In my computer my multi-format memory card reader, which is connected to a USB port via an internal header, will not read SDHC. I had to buy a USB adapter (like a thumb drive) to read SDHC. Fortunately, it was only $1.88 so I bought two. One for the computer and one to keep in my camera bag.
  8. MrBeens

MrBeens Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 19, 2011
    I'm connecting the camera to the PC via the USB cable - deleting via the PC is not possible.
  9. Wasabi Bob

Sure it is.

Just tried it with both XP and Win 7.
    Yes it is possible, though not advised.
  10. Wasabi Bob

Sure you can delete photos using Windows 7, but it's not advised. We've all done it, and usually you can get away with it. I have corrupted the cards FAT table and was unable to access the card's full capacity until I reformatted the card in the camera.

Check ur card reader - is it just a "reader" and perhaps it can't "write to the card? You can definitely read,write and DELETE from Windows 7.

When I do a firmware update I write the file to the SD card using the USB cable connection. After the update, I delete the file (from the PC).
  11. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Just my two cents: I've always used my Mac to delete pictures off of every digital camera I've owned (Canons and Panasonics) and never suffered any ill consequences. I always found the in-camera delete functions to be too labor-intensive (especially Panasonic).
  12. MrBeens

MrBeens Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 19, 2011
    I think this is where the confusion is coming in.

I connect my camera directly to my PC via the USB cable in Windows 7 I am not using a card reader.
    I use explorer to access the card. I can copy from the card but cannot delete - pressing delete has no effect, delete/move is missing from the right click menus.

it is not a problem with the card, if I put the card in a card reader on my work computer I can delete fine, there is obviously something in the camera that is blocking the delete functions.

As Sprinke says, it is just cumbersome to do it via the camera.

I will look into getting a card reader for my home PC.

13. Wasabi Bob

Well I'm running Windows 7 and just connected my GH2 via the USB. While I usually don't, I can delete photos. Not sure how to explain what's going on.

Yes, the camera delete function is very time consuming - no argument there. I had two "experiences" where I took the card out and deleted about 50 shots (RAW) from the SD card on my laptop. After putting the card back into the camera, surprise - no photos to view. I knew they were there, so I continued shooting. I soon discovered that the shots I took after deleting the photos, were now over writing the existing shots. My 8 GB card was now only showing about a 3GB capacity. Once I copied all the photos off the card, and reformatting it in the camera, I got the full capacity back. This happened to me twice.

It only takes one mishap like that to loose precious photos.
  14. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I haven't had the problems people have been sharing with my GF2, but when I delete videos off my SD card when it's plugged into my PC, the camera has a blank bookmark which I can't remove for the video I deleted which is really annoying.