1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH2 body only, NEW, no tax $580!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by lattiboy, Mar 6, 2012.

1. lattiboy

lattiboy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    Yeah, Preferred Photo is not a scam at all. I've ordered numerous items from them with no issues.

Besides, Ebay + PayPal buyer protection insulates you on this type of purchase.

2. lattiboy

lattiboy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    And 99.5% positive feedback on almost 8,000 transactions isn't very "scammy".

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    If I weren't pinched for cash right now, I'd buy this without a worry in the world.

4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Well, they send you a product, otherwise it would be outright theft. But, these are either gray market, refurbished, etc. something else is wrong with them, and that "store" bought the batch of cameras cheaply somewhere. People that gave positive feedback did so frankly because they didn't know any better. As soon as those owners try to get any factory repair done, they're going to be in for a rude awakening. Read this:
    Where to Buy a Camera - photo.net
    Brooklyn camera stores: The scam stops here - Computerworld Blogs

Go ahead and take the chance, but you'd be better served buying used from a respected member here, or from a local videographer that is upgrading to something else. You'll pay about the same, but end up with a better product, or better experience. I was in NYC 3 weeks ago, and visiting storefronts, it is very obvious which places are legitimate photo stores. Just wait, as the GH2 was already this price from reputable sellers during the holiday season, and it will probably drop again towards September.

5. lattiboy

lattiboy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    Sorry if I got a little testy with you shnitz. Bad day :)

We'll agree to disagree.

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Brand new, with no warranty? (You can get a 3rd party warranty for $85.) Definitely not an authorized, US import deal. With warranty, it's $665, which is still quite a bit cheaper than a new US spec one at $900.

For $235 it might be worth it, if I didn't already have a GH2.

7. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I love my G2 ('nuf said!)

8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think you are jumping the gun here...

1) There is nothing wrong about grey market and refurbished as long as the consumer knows. BHphoto and Adorama both sell grey market items

2) Its pretty difficult to maintain 7830+ transactions with 99.5 feedback.

3) Just because its pictured on that site that you link doesn't mean conclusively that it is a scam operation. Case in point. Beach Camera:

The website you list has it listed here which can make visitors presume a scam.

Beach Camera and Electronics, BeachCamera.com, BuyDig.com

Their webpage: BeachCamera.com - Trusted Retailer of Cameras and Electronics since 1983

Their reseller ratings report 8.64/10 (6 months): Beach Camera Reviews - beachcamera.com Ratings at ResellerRatings

I have personally walked into that exact store on several occasions and done business with them. I have also done mail order through them as well.

4) As with Beach camera, Don Wiss also lists www.uniquephoto.com. Yet another reputable dealer that is local to me. Several here have also purchased from there (I was at the store posting here via my phone that 20mm f/1.7 was in stock back when it was difficult to find in stock):

http://donwiss.com/pictures/OtherStores/h0024.htm

Their web page: www.uniquephoto.com

Their reseller rating report: 9.56/10 (6 months)
    http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Unique_Photo_Inc

Done quite a bit of business with them as well.

Personally... If I were the owner of Beach camera or Uniquephoto, I would seriously consider a threatening a lawsuit against Mr. Don Wiss to pressure him to clarify his web page.

Now I'm not saying its definitely not a scam but certainly you haven't shown that it is a scam to any degree. Yes.. there are a lot of scams out of Brooklyn, NY specifically. I generally avoid them if their domain is registered to a NYC address but I have had some success on smaller items that are difficult to find (47th photo ebay with "ok" reseller ratings). There's always a risk which is why most of my purchases are done at real local store fronts.

9. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    Why the anger? They've already sold 116 gh'2 for that price. Where's the scam?
    As for the warranty, the used stuff sold on "buy and sell" forum doesn't carry any warranty and I don't see anyone complaining.

10. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I don't think it is a scam, but it is worth knowing as a buyer that you won't be getting a Panny warranty.

Personally, I'd rather buy new from a legit retailer (authorized who provides Mfg warranty) or pick one up used from someone whom I feel I can trust. But to each his own.

11. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    99.5% is not real good either. Not in the same class as B&H or Adorama.

Note some of the negative ratings included comments like this one in reference to a Nikon D7000: "Its opened and from grey market a HK product not new US product!"

12. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Tempting, but I think I'm going to still hold out for the E-M5. Ugly but awesome beats pretty but not as awesome.

13. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'm flabbergasted.... the E-M5 ugly? The GH2 pretty? I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

14. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    "Awesome" is pretty subjective as well. I think the multi-aspect sensor and the fact that it brought us this technology well over a year ago is more "awesome" than image stabilization and weather sealing.

15. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I think they are both awesome.....and you're right that the GH2 was awesome first...can't wait to see what the GH3 has in store. Hopefully also weather resistant, but almost certainly no image stabilization.

16. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Yes, that was pretty inflammatory, I'll admit. :tongue: I personally don't like the styling of the E-M5 (the stupid hump on the top just kills it for me, and I'm so over the "retro" silver/black thing that could just puke), but the image stabilization, apparently better low-light capabilities and tilt screen make it a lot more desirable than the GH2 for the type of shots I take. I actually find my GF1 to be the most physically attractive M4/3 camera. I probably should have used "neutral" for the GH2 instead of "pretty" - it looks like a little SLR... I was just frustrated that I can't have it all.

17. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Ugh, god - I'm just looking at it again and wondering if I should just wait for the GF7/GX2/whatever to come out. Could they have junked up the top of that camera with more panels and lines?

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7159/6840082781_c902b36915_b.jpg

maybe it'll look better in person... and really, it's the features that matter, right?....right? :/

18. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Right. I'm repeatedly amused, and maybe amazed, but the number of people who seem to care more about how a camera looks, and makes them look, than how the images it helps create look.

If I really want to buy a camera based on looks, it's got to be a Nikon D4 or EOS 1D series. Nothing else is as impressive. If you carry one of those, you really must be a great photographer.

:rofl:

Camera as fashion accessory? No thanks.

• Like Like x 1