GH2 battery power

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by MirrorlessMan, Apr 23, 2012.

1. MirrorlessMan

MirrorlessMan Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 19, 2012
    How long does the GH2 battery last for you guys.

My experience has been pretty bad. I have two OEM batteries for GH2 and each one only lasts 30 minutes of recording time.

I have a GH2 hacked with Cake 2.2. Went to the zoo yesterday and had my dad recording video with it. Shot in high bit rate mode hacked and took over 200 video files with around an hour of footage. So yes, a lot of 3 or 4 second clips included in there. No sure if that taxes the battery more having multiple shots vs one long recorded one. That dried up both of my batteries.

Thanks.

2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

This migh help

If you've increased the bit rate (with hacked firmware), you will increase the current consumption. With an increased bit rate, the processor will run hotter. Heat = power consumption.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    More Power - Less $$$

For over a decade I've used numerous Pansaonic cameras which have required propritary batteries. I have always powered them with 3rd party batteries of higher amperage because they last longer and are vastly cheaper.

I am a heavy battery user when on a professional shoot. The GH2 eats batteries faster than previous cameras so I always take 3 additional ones as a precaution though I've never completely depleted 3 yet.

Panasonic's OEM battery is 7.2v 1200mAh. This replacement battery has 1800mAh instead. Like a car battery, the more amps the longer the crank time. Without the Panasonic label this battery is $12.90!!! For the extra $4, I'd buy the twin pack with charger kit. The charger is smaller than the OEM (2 will fit in the same outlet pair). It has also has an additional red LED to show when charged, and a 12v adapter for the car.

Batteries and Battery Chargers - Laptop Batteries, Digital Camera Batteries, Camcorder Batteries, Data Cables, Power Adapters - BestBatt.com

4. rash_powder

rash_powder Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Both the 1200mah and 1800mah battery will provide the same amount of AMPERAGE to the camera - the camera draws the current it wants, not what the battery gives it.

What you guys are discussing is CAPACITY. Battery capacity is measured in amphours (ah) or milliamphours (mah). 1000mah is 1ah.

What it all means is that at a 1 amp draw, that 1200mah battery will last 1.2 hours whereas the 1800 will last 1.8.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    rash_powder, thanks for the clarification: CAPACITY! That's sort of what I thought "More Power - Less $$$".

6. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    My experience with third party batteries (7.4V - 1800mAh) is not very good : they do not auto-shutdown, leaving the camera on all the time. They do disregard the "economy" settings you made.

They rarely last more than 2 hours during my walks, while the original battery easily last twice as long ...

Of course, if I were to turn off the camera after each shot ... but that's not compatible with my wildlife shooting !

C U
    Rafael

7. MirrorlessMan

MirrorlessMan Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 19, 2012
    Thanks guys. I have thought of getting third party batteries but scared that they don't monitor battery power and it could brick the GH2