1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GH2- Auto Rotate Portrait-Mode Images on Lr Import

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Boatman, May 21, 2014.

1. When I import photos into Lr, Lr does not rotate my portrait-mode images to vertical. I need to select and rotate them after importing.

I found an old post on the Adobe Lr forum that says one needs to have the auto-detect feature in your camera (if it has one) set to on so that image orientation is written into the metadata - then Lr can respond and rotate the image accordingly.

I carefully read the manual for my GH2 camera and the only reference to this is that you must set one of the display settings in order for the camera to auto-rotate the image in playback mode. I checked my camera and I do have this feature enabled, but Lr apparently is not reading or getting this information.

Are there any other known ways to make Lr recognize and auto-rotate portrait format images?

2. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    LR has to see the rotation flag set by the camera. LR can not analyze a photo and come to a logical conclusion that the owner should want the image rotated. I

3. I tested this this evening. Using a Panasonic OIS lens Lr does auto-rotate the image to portrait mode. It does not matter if you set the camera playback, 'rotate display', to auto-rotate or not. Either way Lr turns the image ninety degrees.

I checked the Panasonic 1.7/20, which is not stabilized, and vertical images with it do not auto-rotate in Lr nor do they rotate on the camera viewing screen when 'rotate display' is enabled. The other images I have recently imported were all with old primes, which is why they were not auto-rotating in Lr.