1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH2 at night, recording my friend sing "Isn't she lovely". Nokton F .95 was used

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by Shield, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Shield

Shield Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2011
    Worthington Ohio
    Shot this Saturday night with the Nokton, around 9:30 at night. In HD on Vimeo; my buddy singing "Isn't she lovely" by Stevie Wonder.

Was either at 1.4, 1.1 or even wide open.

Comments welcome!

[ame=http://www.vimeo.com/27138976]Isn't she Lovely? - Theo Jackson / Snack Bar on Vimeo[/ame]

• Like Like x 5
  2. fezza56

fezza56 New to Mu-43

Jul 6, 2011
    Video v.good,

rather enjoyed that soulful rendition of a great song

3. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Very nice. How far away from your friend were you? Also, do you recall any camera settings?

Just my $.02, but I think you should have kept the camera in the same position from the beginning. Putting your friend on the left of the screen and looking to the right looks more balanced to my eye. Centering him when he started singing doesn't look as nice as a composition.

And you probably could not have moved the bongo in the foreground, but it's a minor distraction.

Nice performance though! And nice capture. Thanks for sharing, and for the GF2 tip as well!

4. Shield

Shield Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2011
    Worthington Ohio
    Thanks - this is the type of feedback I'm looking for. I was about 12-15 feet away maybe? Camera was set to 1080p24 creative mode, nostalgic all -0, AWB +4 blue, 1/50 shutter, ISO 160, F .95 - 1.4 (can't remember if I had it wide open or not).
    This was at a Champp's restaurant and there was a big table right where I'd like to have filmed from, and I also didn't want to block the people watching in the background. Thanks for the feedback - I think you're right about keeping him on the left and the guitar neck on the right - just used to the camera world where you try to center the frame.
    Shawn

5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    FWIW, did you consider setting white balance against his shirt so as to remove the strong violet cast of the lighting? This is a style thing as much as anything though, so if you like the violet, then go with it.

6. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Enjoyed the song:clap2: I like the bongo there......John:biggrin:, But I agree with every thing else. You and that lens did great in that video.

7. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Thanks for sharing the video, very good quality and great rendition of the song. I do agree with the comments above re: the composition.

8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    actually, you rarely want to center things in the frame..... even more so for stills. But that video sure is lovely. I think i have that song stuck in my head now.

9. Shield

Shield Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2011
    Worthington Ohio
    I thought you do want to center things for framing purposes? I have no idea; I'm 100% amateur all the way. I will read up on this today.

10. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    google "rule of thirds"

its a good starting point for exploring more interesting composition/framing

K

11. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    another thing to try in the future is to record the entire song in a single take
    Then during the next song take different angles and close ups of the hands strumming, fingers on fret board, people in the audience and anything else around that conveys the atmosphere... if there was a pretty girl in the audience maybe some shots of her.

then in your editing application, lay down the complete song and lock the audio, and then insert the other shots to break up the one long shot...do that and you will have made the big step from shooting video to making a movie.

K