GH2 articulating LCD problems

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by M43tomw, Apr 3, 2014.

1. M43tomw

M43tomw New to Mu-43

Feb 3, 2013
    Dear Mu-43 users,
    The articulating screen on my GH2 is having two issues.
    The most obvious is that the image on the LCD screen has become somewhat pixelated, vertical lines causing some distortion of the image, and an almost "iridescent" look to some the image on the screen. Whereas the EVF looks perfectly normal and the pictures and video are recorded just fine.
    The touch screen features of the LCD still function.

Also the hinge of the articulating screen has become somewhat loose, where it has some "play" in it. I got out my GH1 to compare the feel of the hinge, and the GH1 is rock solid (as I remember my GH2 being!).
    I do not recall dropping the camera or banging it into anything, it was just like it happened one day. Weird.

Anyway it looks like I will have to try and get it repaired by Panasonic and I am out of warranty, at least I assume I am, given that I bought the camera in the fall of 2012. Too bad I did not buy some kind of extended warranty!

So my questions to the forum, has anyone experienced problems like these (distorted image in LCD, and loose feel to the hinge)?

Another question is regarding Panasonic Service and Repair, what am I getting myself into? I plan on calling the center in Texas tomorrow to see what the procedure is for repair. I imagine there may be some local repair (non Panasonic) option here in St. Louis.
    Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    Don't know why the pics uploaded upside down. One shot is with the GH2 and the other is with the GH1.
  2. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    The early production GH3 had some issues with loose LCD hinges. My GH3 was repaired by Panasonic under warranty. As far as the appearance of your LCD it may be that the screen is faulty and will require replacement. You should be able to get an estimate from Panasonic for the hinge and LCD replacement. They probably have a flat rate replacement cost. I would then check to see what it would cast to repair locally. Good luck.
  3. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I wouldn't trust local repair.
  4. M43tomw

M43tomw New to Mu-43

Feb 3, 2013
    Thanks for your input and advice Bif and biomed.
    I am out of warranty so I am assuming that the Flowmotion firmware hack I installed won't be a problem with Panasonic. I may uninstall it regardless prior to shipping it to them. Yeah Panasonic is probably the way to go with the repair, given that there are probably not any local repair places that have ever seen a Panasonic mirrorless camera... I paid $700 for the GH2 body when prices dropped prior to the GH3 release, hoping the repair doesn't gouge me too much.
    On another note I picked up the GH1 with kit lens for $345 from Panasonic USA when the GH2 came out, now that was a hell of a deal.
    I love both of these cameras, they really are a pleasure to use and I use the articulating screen so much for getting shots from waist high or over my head, wish Olympus would employ this type of LCD on the OMD cameras, or Panasonic developing the 5-Axis stabilization. Was hoping to see that in the GH4, oh well.