1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH2 and the operation of mini-HDMI out

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by f6cvalkyrie, Jan 22, 2012.

1. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi,

earlier today, I've been trying out the combination of a TV flatscreen with HDMI input and the GH2's mini-HDMI output. This combination seems to work fine, and allows for precise focusing and determination of depth of field. The large dimensions of the flatscreen are literally a massive help.

However, as soon as I connect the mini-HDMI connector, the 5x magnification focusing aid of the GH2 seems not to work anymore. Not on the flatscreen and not on the GH2's screen.

As I want to use an external monitor of much smaller dimensions than my 50" flatscreen for shooting close-ups and macro in the garden, I think I really need that 5x magnification for the external monitor to be any good at all.

Is it a setting hidden somewhere in the numerous menus that I have to adjust to use this magnification x5 when the mini-HDMI is in, or will it just never work ???

BTW, this is the external monitor I'm looking at :

7 Inch On-Camera HD DSLR Monitor (1080P, HDMI, VGA, 10 Hours Working Time) products, buy 7 Inch On-Camera HD DSLR Monitor (1080P, HDMI, VGA, 10 Hours Working Time) products from alibaba.com

Anybody here using such external monitor ? What's your experience ?

C U
    Rafael

2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    everything I've read indicates that it's not possible

• Like Like x 1
  3. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    The fact that tethering is not supported indicates limited facility via the GH2 HDMI

4. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Hmmm ... that's an interesting quirk. Is the built-in tilt/swivel LCD too small that you want an external monitor for macro?

5. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    thanks everybody for responding ! I'm still looking for comments from people using such external monitors.

The LCD is a fine piece, a much appreciated part of the GH2. No question about that .... But, for appreciating critical focus, depth of field or 'where to start or where to stop' when shooting focus stacks, I thought that a bigger monitor would be nicer.

If you're using an external monitor, please give some feedback !

C U,
    Rafael

6. Arnie

Arnie New to Mu-43

Oct 24, 2011
    That's goog idea !

I will try it connect to iPad .

20111027_cc5c14c42a731840de5aUdtWqrJyesiO.