1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH2 and studio strobe help

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Jerrym, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Jerrym

Jerrym New to Mu-43

Jan 10, 2012
    Oakland, Michigan
    I am trying to figure out a way to use my gh2 with my studio strobes using a p/c terminal, or mono plugs. I purchased a hot shoe adapter but the camera doesn't appear to sense the strobes, so it doesn't fire them.

The sync port on my strobes is 1/8", but the mic jack on the GH2 is smaller. I don't have a cable that will fit both ports. If I knew that is all it would take to fire the strobes I would certainly find or make one.

I have seen instructions on adding a pc sync to a FL-50 flash which would be one way to accomplish it, but I would always have to have the flash attached.

Has anyone hooked up a GH1 / 2 to studio strobes, and if so, how did you accomplish it?

Thanks in advance,
    Jerry

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Make sure the hot shoe adapter is properly in place. That is by far the easiest method to trigger studio strobes with an M43 camera. If that doesn't work, buy another adapter and see if that works. My strobes trigger just fine with my E-PM1 and E-PL2.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jerrym

Jerrym New to Mu-43

Jan 10, 2012
    Oakland, Michigan
    Thanks for the tip Jonathan,

I have played around with the hot shoe adapter several times without success, so I just mounted it to my Olympus E-30 and discovered that it doesn't work on that either.
    I will pick up a different one and see if I can get it to work.

Jerry

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Unless you need to shoot very fast, why burden yourself with a cable? Optically trigger the studio strobes using a small hotshoe strobe on your camera. Partially tape over the lens on the hotshoe strobe and/or point it to the ceiling so it doesn't affect exposure of your subject.

More info here: https://www.mu-43.com/f67/off-campus-flash-gh2-16167/

5. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    user jambaj0e does a lot of work with studio strobes, I think.

6. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I use cheap ebay radio triggers for manual strobes. Works a treat. Cables are so 2011.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  7. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I use the relatively inexpensive, but highly useful Cactus v5. I strobe to multiple Paul Buff Einstein studio strobes and rarely misfire. I just have it on the hot shoe and works just fine (as long as you remember to put new batteries in there, haha!).

In fact, I got a pro photographer buddy of mine to buy a whole set for his Profotos. What a combination, haha!

8. Jerrym

Jerrym New to Mu-43

Jan 10, 2012
    Oakland, Michigan
    Thanks to everyone for your input. I did have a defective hot shoe adapter.
    I did play around with some of the suggestions. The shoe mounted flash did work, but I didn't particularly like having the flash attached. The built in flas wasn't powerful enough to sync the strobes.

Thanks again for the suggestions,
    Jerry